Oliver + S

Building block dress

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Kirsten @kerichards

Hi,

I’m making a building block dress. My skirt has a border print and all the skirts I can find in the book have a curved bottom edge. Any advice on how to sew it so there is a straight bottom edge without creating problems :-).

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Hi! I would suggest doing a dirndl skirt, and just combine it with the rest of the building block parts! The dirndl skirt simply uses a rectangle piece of fabric, so you can keep the hem on the straight of grain. Here’s a tutorial: http://blog.megannielsen.com/2009/04/how-to-make-a-dirndl-skirt/

Or, even better, Leisl’s Lazy days skirt pattern is also a dirndl: https://oliverands.com/free-patterns/lazy-days-skirt/

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The instructions to convert to a gathered skirt with a straight hem begin on page 74 of the book.

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I am starting with the building block siluete dress on page 41 but i am having difficulty in understanding how i do the placket on the skirt.Jo

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Jo, Can you be more specific about what’s giving you trouble? The placket starts on page 47. Is there a particular step that’s confusing you?

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I have read the instruction several times and looked at your diagrams . For the placate I have ironed 1/2 inch to the wrong side then an inch to the right side but it doesn’t look right .The facing is showing. So far I have done really well as this is my first dress on my own just following your book.. Many thanks jo

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

sorry the above query is the placate for the bodice jo

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m still not clear where you’re getting stuck. Are you on page 43, step 8? If so, the inside of the placket will show for now, just like it does on the coordinating illustration. Once you’ve sewn the neckline with the neck facing you’ll turn the placket right side out again so it doesn’t show anymore. If this isn’t where you’re getting stuck, can you be more specific so I know how to help?

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I have now completed the dress. I am please with it as I have read from page 46 to completion. I used bias binding for the hem and cuffs. thanks to your help I sorted the plackets out. the only on i had a problem with is the skirt still does not look right but I will keep practicing until i get it right.
    Pleased that i follow the instruction from coping the pattern out to cutting and completing. learnt a lot . Has given me the confidence to move forward. Thank you. Really love your book Building Block . I plan to do the same dress again I have plenty of scraps.
    Thank You Jo Ward

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2018. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.