Oliver + S

Building block dress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • LINK
    Kirsten @kerichards

Hi,

I’m making a building block dress. My skirt has a border print and all the skirts I can find in the book have a curved bottom edge. Any advice on how to sew it so there is a straight bottom edge without creating problems :-).

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Hi! I would suggest doing a dirndl skirt, and just combine it with the rest of the building block parts! The dirndl skirt simply uses a rectangle piece of fabric, so you can keep the hem on the straight of grain. Here’s a tutorial: http://blog.megannielsen.com/2009/04/how-to-make-a-dirndl-skirt/

Or, even better, Leisl’s Lazy days skirt pattern is also a dirndl: https://oliverands.com/free-patterns/lazy-days-skirt/

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The instructions to convert to a gathered skirt with a straight hem begin on page 74 of the book.

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I am starting with the building block siluete dress on page 41 but i am having difficulty in understanding how i do the placket on the skirt.Jo

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Jo, Can you be more specific about what’s giving you trouble? The placket starts on page 47. Is there a particular step that’s confusing you?

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I have read the instruction several times and looked at your diagrams . For the placate I have ironed 1/2 inch to the wrong side then an inch to the right side but it doesn’t look right .The facing is showing. So far I have done really well as this is my first dress on my own just following your book.. Many thanks jo

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

sorry the above query is the placate for the bodice jo

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m still not clear where you’re getting stuck. Are you on page 43, step 8? If so, the inside of the placket will show for now, just like it does on the coordinating illustration. Once you’ve sewn the neckline with the neck facing you’ll turn the placket right side out again so it doesn’t show anymore. If this isn’t where you’re getting stuck, can you be more specific so I know how to help?

LINK
    Josephine Ward @Biscuit8

I have now completed the dress. I am please with it as I have read from page 46 to completion. I used bias binding for the hem and cuffs. thanks to your help I sorted the plackets out. the only on i had a problem with is the skirt still does not look right but I will keep practicing until i get it right.
    Pleased that i follow the instruction from coping the pattern out to cutting and completing. learnt a lot . Has given me the confidence to move forward. Thank you. Really love your book Building Block . I plan to do the same dress again I have plenty of scraps.
    Thank You Jo Ward

LINK
    Nancy @nancys

I am trying my first Building Block Dress!
    I am using an African print fabric which was given to me. I try to avoid polyester but I’m doing it for a friend who would like it. The fabric feels ok after washing but is on the lightly woven side. We decided it needed a plain colored collar and I got a quilting fat quarter which feels a bit heavier than the main fabric. Would you advise using the main (lighter) fabric for the neck facing or making a neck facing out of the fat quarter matching the collar?
    I know the facing will not show but I’m wondering about the weight difference.
    Or maybe I’m overthinking this?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Nancy, the African Wax Prints that I’ve sewn with have been Vlisco which is 100% cotton base. I’ve thought of them as having the weight and thickness of a quilting cotton but the weave and quality of a Liberty lawn! Perfect party Frock fabric.
    I would think that a quilting cotton collar would work fine and I doubt it will matter which fabric you use for the facing.
    Having said that, I’d choose the lighter weight fabric for the facing as it will be easier to shape into the curve that it needs to follow.
    Sounds like a pretty dress, be sure to share it when you’re done!

LINK
    Nancy @nancys

Thank you for responding! I will use the lighter weight as your reason makes sense. I appreciate your feedback!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Nancy.
    LINK
    Paula @SydneyPaula

I was looking at your Building Block Dress book today on Amazon and I was thinking, I wish there was a Building Block Dress book for Women’s dresses. Do you have any plans in the future to do a grown up Building Block Dress book? Also, and I’m sorry if i’m asking this on the wrong blog, or in the wrong discussion but why doesn’t simplicity sell 2209 anymore? I want that pattern so badly 🙁

LINK
    Nancy @nancys

I’ve just completed my first Building Blocks dress! I was quite challenged but I am happy about completing it (even with the imperfections.) The Tanzanian fabric was given to me by the mother of the child. Maybe I should have paid more attention to the placement of the design. It’s pretty busy…perhaps inevitable with this fabric. The mom is very pleased with it so that makes me happy, too!
    Now I am asking my daughter to design one for her daughter choosing her preferred design elements from the book. I am encouraging her to use fabrics from my stash for these first learning experiences for me.
    Looking forward to the next dress!

LINK
    Nancy @nancys

Here is the dress.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.