Oliver + S

Bucket hat question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Alicia @Alicia

I made my daughter the bucket hat and it looks so cute but, it is too small. I measured her noodle and even thought she is only 4 it was 21in so I made the large, and it is to small. It fits my 1yr old son great though.(It would seem my children have large heads) If only it was not mermaids and pink! lol I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem or if I am just doing somthing wrong. I did the .5in seams as it said and cut them down….

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Alicia,I have not made this pattern(yet,he he)but I believe that other people have enlarged it as the larger size was not quite large enough for their little one.

If you are quite sure about the seam allowance that is probably the case.

I am sure one of the clever ladies who has enlarged it will come along and talk you through it.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

That does seem odd….. My four and a half year old wears the size large and it’s a bit loose. My two year old wears the small and her two and a half year old cousin who definitely has a big head would need the medium…..

but a size large on a 1 year old? It sounds like something went awry. Did you use the downloadable pattern or the printed book one. Could it have been a scaling issue with the downloaded printout?

LINK
    Alicia @Alicia

I used the downloadable pattern. Maybe that was my problem… It went together very nicely and I am pleased with the finished product, minus the size issue. I am going to try to just enlarge the pattern with a compass, and see what that gets me. My daughter is now expecting one. One of my husbands coworkers has a little girl I think I am going to pass on the practice round to ;).

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I haven’t used any PDF patterns so someone else may correct me, but I imagine there’s a 1″ scale on there somewhere so you can check if indeed it did print at the incorrect size. Sometimes printers will automatically shrink to fit or enlarge to fill the designated page size, so maybe try checking that the printer is printing at true 100% scale and just reprint.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That’s a good point lightning about the scale as many regular printers are set to “fit to page” unless you print out lots of downloads like me and it’s now set to “actual size”.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I just downloaded the free drop over sundress the other day, and yes, it does have an ‘inch square’ in corner so you can check. It’s the first O/S pattern I’ve dwnlded, and I was particularly pleased to see the grided pages “behind’ the pattern – so much easier when you’re joining lots of pages. A lot of the quilting applique stuff I download tells you to select “none” before printing, and it seems to work. And I’m one of the least computer savvy people I know. But as you say, Alicia; there are always lots of little heads that can use a new hat. Somebody will be happy, even if not the originally intended recipient.

LINK
    rambleoncat @rambleoncat

I just made the Bucket hat in Small and it’s a little snug for my just three year old. I look forward to making a few more.

LINK
    lifeinoz @lifeinoz

I’m guessing it’s the scale on your printer as well. My kids have huge heads and my 1 year old wears the small while my almost four year old wears the medium. I used a tutorial to extend the brims, so cute!! Good luck! Keep plugging away at it!

LINK
    finishedgarment @finishedgarment

My kids have large heads, but I just made the medium for my 2 1/2-year-old, and the large for my 4-year-old and six-year-old. They are a bit big, but in a nice way and look like the photos in the book. I used the pattern in the book, and not the PDF.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.