Oliver + S

Brainstorming: Violin recital

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I feel like there has been a thread where people can ask for suggestions before, but I can’t find it. I apologize if I’m being redundant. I like hearing ideas.

I need suggestions for a violin recital outfit for a 7yo. (She will be playing Allegro, from Suzuki Book 1, which I mention in case that information might be somehow relevant to anyone’s creative process).

Requirements:

Pockets

No detailing around the neck/shoulder that might interfere with the relationship between her chin, the violin, and her shoulder. We’ve tried playing the violin in hoodies and with collars – major disaster. (I don’t think it’s actually impossible for other children, but it is for mine.)

Recitals at our music school are “formal Sunday best” occasions. One can err on the side of being more formal, but you can’t show up devil-may-care grungy until you’re a teenage virtuoso and can pull off the “my music speaks for itself” thing. So not in Suzuki Book 1.

I have three weeks.

What would you do?

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

Hide and Seek. It has pockets and no collar.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

We did H&S for the last two recitals. I’m considering another one, but I’m hesitating because we already have two.

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

What about the Fairy Tale minus the collar?

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Not sure if this one will show up as it is set to ‘friends and family’, but I think if you are a flickr o+s member it should. This is one Rebecca made for her daughter’s violin recital: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/8084751383/in/set-72157623710638777

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

Oops, just realized I missed the pocket requirement, you could add inseam pockets.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yup, collarless Fairy Tale, add inseam pockets. We did a white bodice and black skirt to meet our dress code. I did put a collar on mine and it wasn’t an issue, but you know your kid and what works for you.

LINK
    lakepa @lakepa

You could make the collarless version of the Library dress. Also, I made a Playdate dress with 3/8-inch tucks on the bib. The tucks start on the line for the ruffle. There are 3 tucks on each side. I made tucks in a length of white fabric and then cut the bib from it. You could do a white tucked bib with buttons down the center and the rest of the dress black. You could use the inseam pocket pattern piece from the Playtime dress. I’ve used it many times for dresses without pockets.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I recall seeing a collarless School Photo dress and it was lovely.

Playdate or Playtime would fit the bill too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

A Family Reunion? In black linen with a white neck and inseam pockets?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think the Playdate comes with pockets already, in fact. All these ideas sound great. Didn’t Nele (spiegelstiksels) do a tutorial for a modified School Photo? Was that one collarless?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.