Oliver + S

Bodice muslin?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hi there, I’m so excited to make a version of the Fairy Tale Dress for my 6 year old. The post says that you will want to make a “bodice muslin.” May I ask, what is that? Will the directions walk me through it?

Thanks! Purl

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Basically, just make the bodice using a fabric similar in content to the fabric you plan to use so that you can test the fit on your child. That way you can adjust as necessary before completing the garment, since it is such a form fitting dress in the bodice.

LINK

Ahhhhh! That makes sense! Thanks so much!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

This is a muslin I made when making a Lisette dress.

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/11/thai-traveller.html the seams are on the outside (as everyones bodies are uneven) once it is fitted and seams are trimmed,it is unpicked and used as the pattern.

I am a muslin addict for anything fitted!

~Nicole~

LINK

Wait, so you take a piece of fabric same content/weight that won’t be used in the final dress. You then sew it up, adjust where necessary to fit your child, and then unpick it and use it like a pattern piece to cut out the fabric that will be used in the final dress? Hmmm… did I get this or am I terribly confused?

Thanks, as always, for sharing your wisdom.

-Purl

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No,you got it!

The beauty of it is,the next time you sew it,baste the muslin and fit it again to adjust it. Often it is merely a case of adding length or letting out seam and you can write that on the muslin.

I made this dress for Zara http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/silky-seashore-success.html and I was thrilled with the result.

I hope this helps and I am not confusing you.

~Nicole!

LINK

Thanks so much, as always Nicole! Very helpful!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

At this point, I buy muslin in large quantity or by the bolt from Joann when I have a 50% off cupon. I get the kind that will work out to $2/yd. I am making this dress for a little girl for christmas. Her mother told me she wears a size 5 and I made a muslin in both size 5 and size 6 for her to try when she came to be measured. I’m glad I did, becuase her measurements put her in size 5 for sure, but size 6 leaves her room to grow. As this particular pattern is fitted, I think it wise to make the muslin, particularly if you have precious fabric or you’re making it for a special occasion.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

also, is there any reason I can’t use my muslin as my lining?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

None at all. I think it would be a brilliant idea.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.