Oliver + S

Big mistake – can it be fixed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

    Hi everyone

    I’ve cut out 2 pairs of shorts for my boys in size 6 and failed to find the errata slip until I was starting to sew – therefore I have cut the front piece without the seam allowances. I think that the shorts will probably be too big for the boys anyway – is there any way I can fix this without having to cut out new short fronts???? (I am on a very tight sewing schedule and need to get these done quickly)

    Justine

    LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

    Yikes – could you fudge it? Maybe use a 1/4″ seam on the front so you’d only loose a 1/4″?

    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

    If they are going to be too big, trim the seam allowance from any adjoining pieces and sew with a narrow seam. Please don’t feel bad , I did the same thing with the first pair I made.

    Good Luck!

    LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

    Thanks! I was thinking of cutting off the other seam allowances – here’s hoping that they will fit. Another lesson learnt – check for errata!

    LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

    Just another suggestion, you could always add a contrasting fabric and cut a piece that would give a ‘stripe’ down the side seam. You could then take that contrasting fabric and tie it in elsewhere, either at the hem or the pocket. Now you have a new design feature! 🙂

    LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

    Thanks!

    In the end, I ignored the problem (how unlike me!) – they worked out fine in the end – only issue was with the waistband and the length of the shorts – will post some pics on flickr shortly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2018. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.