Oliver + S

bias on sleeveless version

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • LINK
    sasha @sasha

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the advantages are to using bias to finish the sleeveless version. I have always sewn the lining and the bodice right sides facing then trimmed and turned them. Is it stronger or more professional looking to use bias? I’m asking because my bias finishing skills are questionable 🙂 I really struggle to make it look neat. Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would love to know this too as I used the right sides together,turn,method with mine http://pinterest.com/pin/73676143875980814/ .

My bias skill are somewhat lacking.

LINK
    Juboo752 @Juboo752

Me too I always use right sides together and turn on all my party dresses. I was trying to figure it out today why it would have been nessassary to use bias for the finish instead, I will watch with interest 🙂

Must upload some pics of mine, she will be wearing hers at the weekend actually so I will take some pics then.

My bias skills are questionable too so I try and avoid it where at all possible!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

This pattern is still in my unopened pile so I’m reading with interest….

While it may not work with fancy fabrics I’ve become quite dependent on heat and bond type tape. I find if I can iron set the second side of the bias binding exactly on the line of the first seam, and there are no pins to make little bumps then I xan edgestitch from the right side and get a perfect finish both sides.

my method is untested in armholes or with dressy fabrics, so I may yet have to eat my words…..

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I haven’t made it, but is the sleeveless version lined? I have used bias the finish the armholes when not lined. But I wonder if it has something to do with the movement of the arm? Bias on the armholes even in a lined garment would probably give the armholes just a little more movement than a sew and turn method. Are these armholes smallish and may need the extra give in the bias?

LINK
    sasha @sasha

I hadn’t thought of that. I think it is pretty tight fitting. “motherof5” did you change the armhold size when you redrafted some of the lines for your girls?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Not by much Sasha, http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/i-hope-it-has-happy-ending.html if you scroll down a bit bit you can see it was just a wee bit under the arm.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

The bias is really more of a construction issue. We wanted both versions of the dress to use the same methods of construction as much as possible so we could focus in detail on the more challenging areas and still fit everything onto two sheets. So if you’d prefer to sew the lining to the armholes to finish the dress, that will work fine. But the construction will be slightly different, so you’ll need to change some of the steps in order to do it.

I hope that helps!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Liesl.

xx

LINK
    sasha @sasha

Thank you Liesl and motherof5!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have made this sleeveless twice and I always use the Threads quick lining method for sleeveless anything. I think it makes a neater finish and have not had problems. When I do sleeveless for myself, I always redraft the armscyes for a more flattering shape, but I don’t think it would make a difference for a child’s dress. I don’t like the look of the extra topstitching needed for bias. Its probably just a matter of preference.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Mel, I’m dealing with just this issue on a sleeveless A line drop over dress. The armholes and neckline have 3/8″ seams, and recommend bias binding. I prefer facings for the look of it, and when the armholes are a generous style, the bias can look a little tacky. What’s the quick lining method you mentioned? Is “Threads” the magazine?

Referring to your post about getting on using up fabric you’ve bought/patterns before your little girl gets too big; I’m so totally onside, and I’m really looking fwd to seeing what you produce. So get cracking girl, I’m waiting with bated breath 🙂

Fiona

LINK
    desertk @desertk

I am currently working on this dress and am at this stage now. I’m stuck :-). I’m having a hard time getting the facing to fit the armhole. I am doing the sleeveless version and have followed the instructions up to this point is I don’t think it’s an option for me to finish it in a different way. My facing just seems too big. When I match the seams and then the notch at the top I can’t figure out how to pin it and sew it so that it will be smooth. I’d appreciate any help 🙂

Kerri

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Is it possible to take in the facing?

Or bind the arm opening.

~Nicole~

LINK
    desertk @desertk

I wasn’t sure if I would mess up something I did that 🙂 I can do that. I’m not sure what you mean about bind the arm opening though. Sorry this is definitely the hardest thing I’ve attempted to sew.

Kerri

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.