Oliver + S

Best and Worst Sewing Moments

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

Best: I give just a gentle tug and the entire length of basting thread slides right out.

Worst: I just finish carefully sewing the most tedious, difficult seam on a project, sit back to relax having gotten through it and realize that I ran out of bobbin thread about an inch from the beginning.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Best: I fold an edge over by eye and when I measure it, it’s perfectly 1/2″ everywhere along its length.

Worst: I unpick a long seam and re-sew it, then realize I did right the first time.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Thanks for the laughs tonight, everyone. Several posts have caused chuckles, which is what I need after fighting with an uncooperative printer and a big deadline…and no resolution.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Best: I forget to mark the silk right side , wrong side before re-moving pattern pieces …… and I fluke it and they all are the same finish !

Worst : Think 90’s glam , fish tail hem ruffle of bemsilk (against skin) ,tulle , lace, patch work velvet over skirt all gathered as one and stitched to fitted pencil skirt ….. sewed in the wrong layers and unpicked 3 TIMES!!!!!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Best: Getting it right first go!

Worst: Unpicking! (I seem to do way too much of it!!!)

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

Ooh, I am nodding to all of these!

Best: The satisfaction of making a perfectly formed placket or collar.

Worst: Well last night I sewed my presser foot to a shirt – does that count?! (I was sewing the hem on a short sketchbook sleeve, when the other side of the hem got caught under one legs of the presser foot and I had sewed a couple of stitches before I realised what had happened. Sometimes my stupidity amazes me.

Close second for worst: When attaching a collar, I have a few times unpicked a bit of the seam to smooth out a tiny crease. When I re-sew I invariably end up stitching a part of the collar into the seam.

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

Best: Finishing something and realizing that I couldn’t have bought anything better in a high end store.

Worst: Melting my fabric with a too hot iron (and I’ve done in more than once. Including yesterday. Fortunatly, I used a scrap yesterday. I have melted somethings I couldn’t replace. Think I’d learn, huh?)

LINK
    babyjoy @babyjoy

LOVE THESE!!

BEST: Sewing a perfectly straight line of topstitching.

WORST: Clipping the seam allowances , turning right side out, and realizing you clipped too close and cut the seam.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Best: I agree with Babyjoy – sewing a perfect topstitch.

Worst: Being on a roll and finishing a dress/shirt and then the machine decides it doesn’t really feel like making buttonholes for me today so I have to put it off for another day – I invariably lose my momentum and end up taking way too long to actually finish an otherwise perfect garment (fit and sewing-wise) (Grrr, can you tell that happened *just* now?)

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I’m changing my worst! Can’t believe I failed to rememeber this when I posted!!!!

WORST: my sewing machine coming unthreaded at the start of a seam!!!!!!!!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Did you keep sewing the seam ? Not notice ?

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh, it just happens constantly on my machine – I need to leave a really long tail!!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Mind will do that , because it is semi-industrial it is so fast! brrrr stop brrrr!

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Best: Sewing 2 pairs of perfect pockets on 2 ice cream dresses. (Thanks to April1930’s tutorial!)

Worst: Realizing the night before a costume is needed that I sewed 2 left sleeves with elbow darts and neither of the attached and gathered angled bell sleeve cuffs are right! Turned one left hand sleeve wrong side out with new correct dart, switched left hand cuff to right and also turned one wrong side out for correct left sleeve. Whew. Was I glad when that costume was done. LOL

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Best: Getting over myself and deciding to actually cut and use the Liberty fabric in my stash – so lovely to sew with.

Worst: Realized I cut two pieces of a pattern the same rather than mirror each other and have to cut a new piece from the spendy Liberty stuff. Bah!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.