Oliver + S

Back wider than front?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Kathy @khiggs

I’m making a small (with added length). I discovered when I was measuring the (nearly) finished muslin that the back is wider than the front and the side seams are not at the side.

Going back to measure the pattern, the back – from the fold to top of side seam – is 12-5/8 in, total 25-1/4 inches.

The front – from the cut line to top of side seam – is 12-5/8, less 1-1/2 inches for a cut-on placket on each side, total 21-1/4 inches. Less another inch for overlapping the plackets for buttons, so the front is 21-1/4 inches wide.

Could you tell me what I did wrong?
    Many thanks,

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It sounds like you haven’t done anything wrong! Keep in mind that the back has extra ease (pleats) for better movement and comfort. Once you try on the muslin I think it will be fine. Keep us posted, ok?

LINK
    Kathy @khiggs

The muslin was successful and the shirt hung normally. After a few tweaks to the length, I’m well into the final product.

Thanks for your prompt response!
    K

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Glad it worked out ok!

LINK
    Kathy @khiggs

The small size All Day Shirt with added length fit very well, but the neck was too small and he couldn’t get the collar button done up.
    What pattern alterations could I do to give him more room in the neck?
    Thanks,
    K

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

There’s another discussion here to help you: https://oliverands.com/community/forums/topic/wide-neck-adjustment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.