Oliver + S

Back Opening Frayed After Washing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

After washing my daughter’s croquet dress, the back opening has frayed along the bottom (lower portion of the “V”). Has anyone else had this problem? Did I do something wrong?

I think I can easily repair it. The facing piece, that was interfaced, is okay. It’s just the dress back that has frayed where the cutting was so close to the stitching. I’m wondering if I could interface the dress back, the way the facing was interfaced? Maybe use a shorter stitch length near the bottom of the “V”?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Let me quickly say I have not made this but I am drafting it today and it is my next project.

I will look out for what you describe and see if I can have a fiddle.

I love this forum,it is so helpful.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Maybe did you trim a little too close to the stitching and “nick” a stitch perhaps? I have made this dress but as yet haven’t noticed an issue concerning the “v”.

Sorry to be of no further help. I would suggest maybe when fixing it that the seam be strengthened by going over the line a couple of times.

Tamara

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Thanks Nicole and Tamara. I’m positive that the stitching was intact before washing. I was so careful when cutting. It’s frayed a good half inch up both sides on the bottom of the V. Where it is equal on both sides, and the facing is still in good condition, I’m thinking maybe the fabric was too loose of a weave and my stitch length too long for such a small allowance.

I don’t think it’s a huge problem, I just know all the clever ladies who read this forum have more brain power than I do. It’s a proven fact 🙂

Hollie

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hollie it’s a real shame this happened. But I do have to ask, did you wash your fabric before making the dress? I have bought fabric which I thought would be perfect for certain projects and washed them and they came out rubbish! This why I ask because I was wondering if this was the first wash of the fabric itself.

If you think you can fix it then that is great news! I for one hate to think that all that work would simply be wasted due to one wash and fraying. Maybe a bit of fray stop after mending could help??

Just a thought.

Tamara

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Tamara, I washed the fabric before sewing. I too have had experiences with fabric feeling and looking completely different after the first wash which is always disappointing. But also, a relief if it kept me from hours of work.

The good news is, it’s fixed and doesn’t look too bad. I just fused interfacing to the dress side, restitched (a couple of times) with a shorter stitch length, and I think it will work out. I might add a bit of fray stop too. Thanks for your suggestion!

Hollie

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I was going to say a smaller stitch length would have been ideal – I was taught that trick for starting and ending stitch lines instead of back stitching so if it stops stitching from coming undone then this is the best solution.So glad you got it sorted.

Tamara

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve just washed my croquet dress and the exact same thing has happened to mine!

It was made from very well worn/washed recycled shirt, so no shrinkage issue. I was super careful with the cutting as well. I suspect the linen weave may have just been too coarse to allow such trimming.

Interfacing BOTH sides of this part seems the best solution. I’ll try and interface the dress side and then just topstitch the edge to hold it all together

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I popped a wee square of interfacing at the point when making mine and it was fine.

I used a narrower stitch length too. I have blogged it.

How disappointing for you though.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You know, this just happened with one of S’s dresses too! I think Nicole’s idea is good. I’m going to turn the back facing inside out and try stitching it again a little further from the frayed edge after fusing a little interfacing over the area. It should be a relatively easy fix, but I think it would be a good idea to fuse interfacing to both fabrics at the back opening before stitching any future dresses, just to be safe. I’ll add a little note to the errata for this dress to let people know. Thanks for telling me–I thought it was just the loose weave of the chambray I was using!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I just got the new blue croquet dress out of the dryer to fold ready to pack and noticed that even though I interfaced the section, it has still frayed slightly. The corduroy one frayed worse though so the interfacing helps to reduce the effects but not necessarily eradicating the threat. I’m going to try something a little differently next time.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have washed Lidia’s several times now without a problem. I did use a narrower stitch for the slash.

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/you-cant-make-that-pattern-up-in-that.html

And I did topstitch around the edge as it is a play dress.

I will be interested to see what you do next time Tamara.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well actually, I was thinking of topstitching it and interfacing both the facing and the dress side to reinforce further. I didn’t do the narrower stitch so maybe that was my undoing but the blue dress is frayed a tiny bit compared the corduory one which is a real shame. What I did do though was go over the stitching twice – should have worked with that I’d have thought but will try again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.