Oliver + S

Alternatives to buttons for sleepover

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Am making the boys little pj sets to take to grandmas house. Middle son, however, says he’s doesn’t like buttons because they “poke his belly” if he “sleeps on his face.” he had a pair of button up ones previously with pretty thick buttons. But he’s one of those that’s super sensitive to tags, sock seams, etc so he may not be willing to try other kinds of buttons. I’m thinking about snaps.

I’m also wondering whether they might just pull over the head. I don’t want to do Velcro if I can avoid it. I hate the way it gets tangled up in the wash with everything else.

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

I made 2 pair of pjs for my niece and nephew with KAMsnaps (16) They were actually thicker than a small button when snapped. My sister hasnt complained about the snaps, but it did hit my brain.

What about those small sew on (metal) snaps they are very flat or a tight fitting hook and bar?

Or, what if you made a faux button placket and faced the buttons inward kind of like how a button fly would work (yet he may still feel them)

Ok.. I have another dumb idea… what if.. you made them out of a stable knit fabric for the body so that they would stretch enough to go over his head and get his arms in it, and applique little buttons on the front.

🙂 Sorry… I need a diet coke.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Sew-on snap tape would mean nothing but the pyjama fabric would touch his skin…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My girls are able to pull theirs on with just the top button undone.

I would check first but you may be able to sew up the front with just a single velcro dot at the top. I know what you mean about velcro in the wash. Its a pain.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes velcro isn’t my favourite closure method either. I also know that zippers aren’t really preferred for sleep wear either but it could be an idea as an alternative to buttons.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Both of mine are face down sleepers and don’t seem to mind the snaps I used. I LOVE the snaps cause they can both undo them themselves (and the older one can do the up as well)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the replies! I’ll run snaps by him and show hm some examples. Maybe thin buttons would work for him too. He’s going into kindergarten, so he really ought to be able to do up a few buttons. And if that fails, I’ll top stitch together and just do one snap at the top.

Oldest son * likes* the button up shirts. In this blue check shifting he chose, he’s going to look like a man. 🙂

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I made up a pair in pearl snaps, and my kids consistently ask for the pearl snaps over the buttons now.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I can see that Kam snaps would be a bit bulky, but I’ve used the metallic snaps (just the general kind you find at the store…dritz, etc) and those work great! I’m finally getting over my “fear” of buttonholes, but I do prefer snaps on the pjs! lol

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I happen to have some pearl snaps, but Phil doesn’t like them. He probably thinks they’re a little girly. If he needs buttons, I’ll have to go to the store. I don’t have 6 of anything that would work. I might do buttons for him and snaps for Charlie, though Charlie did say flat buttons might be OK.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Pearl snaps come in lots of different colors, if you only have white, you might try black or just plain silver. Good luck on your hunt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.