Oliver + S

Altering a pattern for a 'non-existent' bum on the little one.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

My daughter has NO bum, meaning that it’s literally as flat as a wall from the neck to the end. So, all her pants are REALLY baggy on the bum, and fall off. She’s 4 years old, wears 18-24 month pants, and the waist still falls off (she has short legs, too). My question…

How do you alter a pattern for a flat bum? I know there’s too much fabric height-wise, because the crotch will fall down around her mid-thigh when the waistband is comfortably around her waist (she also has a super long torso, and low-waist). But also width-wise, because there’s so much bagginess around the hips.

Anyone come across some awesome tutorials for this one? 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hm. I suspect this may be an advanced-level alteration, based on jeans I’m looking at, because it looks like the curvature for the bottom comes from the shape of the crotch seam curve more so than the width or length. But I would imagine you can get a bit better fit by drafting the side that fits best around whatever is her widest part (might have to do a bit of measuring of both the pattern pieces and your kid to find just where that spot is) and then adjust the length from there. Does that make sense?

Any experienced folks have some insight?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Fit for Real People addresses how to correct patterns for a flat derrière, but you might laugh when their examples are shown with, um, mature women. Colette Patterns also has a few blog posts on how to fit pants and I’m petty sure they discuses how to remove fullness from the seat.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

I see the Colette one; it seems like it will help. Frankly, the idea of spending that much effort to alter the pants for this age (and such a short wearing time) seems overwhelming! I need to find a “quick fix” to not get discouraged from sewing for her. Something workable, but not a terrible pain. :/

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about sizing down? At least at the back. Maybe make a couple of pairs of pants that are smaller, Ie 12-18 and even 6-12 months and see if you can get a better fit at the back. Sometimes when the kids are out of nappies their sizing goes backwards size wise because they no longer have a nappy to hold pants up. When sewing pants for fit leave off all the details and just sew them approximately together. This part is about fit not making a beautiful pair of pants. Then when the fit is right you can make an even more beautiful pair of pants 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I can help you with this. My friends little boy was just the same. We noticed when he put his trousers on back to front they fit better so I simply cut the centre back seam the same as the front but just left the higher rise.

It worked a treat and was super easy to do.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

@Nicole — LOL! I love it!! I’m going to give it a try. 🙂

On another note…are the patterns for younger kids cut to be “fluffy” over diapers? I wonder if that contributes to any excess fabric…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My pleasure Rebecca.

The smaller sizes would absolutely have nappy (diaper) room.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

@Nicole Darn! I wonder, does anyone know the last size (oldest?) that has nappy room designed into it?? That would be very helpful to know…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Love that idea, Nicole! I might try it for a kid I know.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I think in RTW the 2t is the last size that has some diaper room, after that, they get slimmer through the bottom.

LINK
    Alison Cummins @Alison Cummins

I think the T is the clue. 2T and 3T have diaper room; 4 years does not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.