Oliver + S

Alterations advice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Mel @Mel

So I made this Kristoff costume:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50842074@N08/15322249280/in/photostream

as a sort of a favour / commission but when I finished it, the person who asked me to make it told me it wasn’t close enough to the original for her needs. Blech. Anyway, she hasn’t come to pick it up nor has she paid me for it. At this point, I’m pretty sure I wont hear from her again.

My six year old is dressing up as Olaf and really wanted to go trick or treating with Kristoff. But because of the time I spent on this plus the difficulty I had with the fake fur, I haven’t made the costume for my husband. I’m feeling extremely guilty. All that to say that I would like to alter the already finished costume to fit my husband if I can figure out a way of doing it without cutting into the fur!

As he’s about 40lbs heavier and 5 inches taller, he needs:

– more length

– more space across the back/shoulders

– if possible more space through the middle

I was thinking of slicing the body and integrating the red sash into it, which would give me the length he’d need but does anyone have any ideas about how to add to the back? . . . bearing in mind that I don’t have much time (and have no desire to deal with the fur again, I just have to say that one more time!!)

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh Mel I am so sorry the favour fell through – some people huh?!

Would he need the width at the shoulders do you think? You could add some in at the shoulder which would avoid the fur at the neckline but unfortunately, even though you don’t want to, I at this point in time am failing to see a way round the fur at the hem. Do you have extra fur?

Think of it this way, even though it is tricky stuff to handle, there is only a little bit of it TO handle! I know you can do it under the time pressure.

The sash to add length is a great idea.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Mel, I read your blog post last Friday, I was very sad to read what happened with this lovely costume you have made. I think making it into something your husband can wear is a GREAT idea. 🙂 I think I would do two things, if possible. First, I would do as you mentioned (if I am reading you correctly), I would slice through the middle where a sash is going to be tied and add my length in there with the grey fabric. The second thing I would do, if it’s possible, I would open up your side seams, making them somewhat of a ‘vest tunic’, if you think your husband can fit the shoulders, once those side seams are no long attached. Then, you could either put in a lacing closure on the sides, allowing it to be adjusted to his measurements, OR, depending on how it fits him, you might just be able to tie the sash so that it ‘closes’ up the vest/tunic. If you are not going for authenticity, it might work?! 🙂

One other thought, if you do decide to add in fabric at the middle, so it will be under the sash, and you want to get more use out of the costume, I would carefully do this adjustment and stitch basting size stitches. Then, you could rip it back out, sew it up, and have the sash attached and sell it off. 🙂 🙂 🙂 I just know there would be someone who would want that costume!!!!

Whatever alterations you decide, if you can make them simple and with basting size stitches, you could make this a win/win situation. 🙂

I’m truly sorry you had that experience. I’m so thankful most people are not like that. 🙂

You do lovely work!

Carol

LINK
    Mel @Mel

I tried it on him again — he definitely needs more room across the shoulders and I don’t think opening up the sides would be enough. Maybe a pleat (like in a mens shirt) at the back with some additional fabric. Can that be done after the fact?

And I’m coming to the realization that I may need to cut into the hem and add some width there (I do have more fur). The most difficult part was the collar so if I can avoid having to redo that I think I can face it 🙂

Thanks for the help. And yes, Carol, I’m glad most people are not like that :).

LINK

Too bad, I was hoping the opening up the sides, leaving them opened, might give you the needed amount of room. Without seeing how tight this is, I am purely guessing. I’m unsure if this is length and/or width needed, so I am thinking it’s probably both. I would find a way to incorporate lacing, in several places, if need be. If I was starting from scratch, I would automatically add length at the shoulder seams, dropping that upper portion down (effectively lowering the armscye, giving more room through the back), then I would probably add at my side seams…but I know you don’t want to cut into the neckline, so I’m trying to think creatively and getting tripped up because I’m unsure of how the tightness is on him.

I still think opening up your side seams will probably be your best option.

Perhaps you could take a look at a couple of links and get some inspiration on the lacing that I am thinking of. If you go to this Pinterest link, you can see the side lacing I was thinking of, only I was thinking of having a 2″ gap on each side, or more. You can purchase grommet tape that has the holes in it, and you just stitch the tape on, or you can create slits or button holes for your lacing. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/205054589256481228/ .

Next, I would look up Robin Hood vests, here’s a google link for that, scroll through and see the various lacing options: https://www.google.ca/search?q=robin+hood+vest&safe=active&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=k3BOVOa5FMOaigLA1oGoBA&ved=0CEUQ7Ak&biw=1366&bih=677

The other link I would suggest is midevil vests: https://www.google.ca/search?q=medieval+archer+vest&safe=active&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JnFOVOSsKef-iAKg34CYDg&ved=0CDAQ7Ak&biw=1366&bih=677

Keep in mind, you can add fabric, to those side openings, before adding lacing, effectively giving you lots of room to play with..here is a female vest showing a side panel, you can make that panel as wide or narrow as you need. http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.polyvore.com%2Fcgi%2Fimg-thing%253F.out%253Djpg%2526size%253Dl%2526tid%253D53430279&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.polyvore.com%2Fbodice_archers_leather_corset%2Fthing%3Fid%3D53430279&h=300&w=300&tbnid=GuGk3y65GhOLlM%3A&zoom=1&docid=Jfb9cVn70GJQHM&ei=M3FOVLzaI4P2iQL3xoCwDQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CB8QMygCMAI&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=1383&page=1&start=0&ndsp=23

I’m not sure if you have a Fabricland close or not, but they have often carried ‘lacing tape’/ ‘eyelet tape’, ‘grommet tape’….or also called “twill eyelet, grommet” tape. It could have a few different names. If you have Fabricland close by, and they carry it, it would be the tape made out of ’twill tape’, it’s cheap and easy. I have used this for corset making for muslin fittings. 🙂 Here is an ebay link to show you what it looks like: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Gothic-Corset-Cotton-Twill-Eyelet-Tape-Silver-Grommet-Tape-3-4-White-9-yds-MM-/181170907264 .

Remember, if you add length to the tunic, do that first, before adding to the width. 🙂

Keep it simple, Mel, you have already spent lots of time on this creation…but try to have fun with the alteration. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    Mel @Mel

thanks, Carol. I see where you’re going with the grommets and ties. I don’t have any at home though and the closest fabricland is a 20min drive. I’ve got a sick kid home with me today and, because of other activities, I’ve only got tonight and maybe an hour tomorrow. I think I’ll start with adding length and a strip down the sides and see where that gets me. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just comfortable enough for the evening. thanks for your help!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

So how did you go? Did you get it done in time? Was it a success?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am hoping you could make it work.

I really felt for you

LINK
    Mel @Mel

That’s so sweet that you guys were thinking of me! Yes, I did get it done in time. I added panels to the sides and to the middle and that solved most of the fit issues. I made a wide sash to cover the seams and added more fur to the hem to cover the gaps. It was a bit of a mishmash but it did the trick.

I knew my husband wanted to dress up to please my daughter but what I didn’t expect was how seriously he would take it. Without any prompting from me, he studied pictures online and went shopping for a shirt and pants that would suit. I didn’t know he was doing it and was so touched (I told him he could get away with wearing things he already had in his closet).

He wore the whole ensemble trick-or-treating and to our Halloween party but the topper for me was that he also chose to wear it to work on Friday even though most of his colleagues don’t dress up. So it was a happy ending and was worth the time and effort I put into it.

No pictures, sorry! He’s not keen on the idea of me posting pictures of him online it so I’ll save those for our family album :).

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is so great you could make a positive out of a rotten situation

I am going to tell my children your story

Thank you for sharing 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Well it sounds like the effort turned out to be so worth it! Glad it was successful and I am thrilled that your hubby actually supported you in gathering items for the costume! I bet this is going to be something of a family story in years to come.

Really pleased for you that it turned out well in the end.

LINK

This makes me so happy, Mel! 🙂 You have a great man there. 😉 I’m very happy for this ending, well done!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.