Oliver + S

Advice on coverstitchers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    suse @suse

This is really OT but I figured that with the wealth of sewing experience on these boards it would be a good place to ask.

I’m considering getting a dedicated cover stitcher (I already have a serger/overlocker, a Bernina 700D). I’m considering the Janome CoverPro 1000CP (or 1000CPX, I haven’t been able to work out the difference between the two). I primarily want it for hemming knits and for bound tape edge finishes on knits. Apart from tee-shirts I make a lot of knit tops for myself, usually from lightweight (about 150gsm) bamboo/cotton/spandex blends.

Has anyone had experience with this machine? Is it likely to be suitable for what I need? Unfortunately I can’t demo it directly, the Janome dealer here only gets them in on special order.

Thanks!

Suse

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Hi There,

I have not used the machine, but I had it demoed for me, 3 weeks ago. I have been trying to decide on a coverstitch machine for the past two years. I have a Pfaff serger that I have had for 12 years and it’s still going strong. I waffled on the coverstitch/serger combo machine vs. a coverstitch only machine. Depending on how much you sew, having a coverstitch only machine may well be what you want. This particular machine, looks great, but again, I have not put it to the test. What I really liked about it was the large harp area, the space between the needle and the right side of the machine. There is plenty of room to maneuver your fabric in there, which is important if you are coverstitching for decorative effects.

On Thursday, I decided to purchase the wonderful Baby Lock, Evolve, combo machine, BUT I am still very much considering the Janome machine as well. I was going to purchase the Janome, coverstitch only machine, then later purchase the Evolve, but when a second hand Evolve, that had never been out of the box, came up for sale, I purchased it. I used this machine at Expo and really liked the 5 thread security stitch (chain stitch),but the harp space is small, which I do not like. However, there are so many wonderful features to this machine, I decided it was worth it to purchase it.

The Janome looks easy to use and stitched beautifully. I did not check the warranty information or do a search on reviews, which of course I would recommend.

Happy shopping,

Carol

LINK
    suse @suse

Thank you so much for your advice Carol – that’s most helpful! I have read quite a few reviews of all of the different models, but it’s always helpful to have as many different opinions as possible. I don’t know anyone in real life who uses a coverstitcher.

I think I’m pretty much sold on the Janome. The large harp area is the major selling point for me. I’d love a Babylock, I agree that they have some beautiful features, but it’s a wee bit out of my price range.

Thanks again!

Suse

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I have one of the Janome CoverPro machines and really like it. I don’t like the combined serger/coverstitch machines because it’s a huge pain to switch back and forth and, quite frankly, I don’t think you save much money compared to having two separate machines. I like to have all three machines (coverstitch, serger, sewing machine) lined up on my workspace because I can switch from one to the other without disrupting my workflow. Hope that helps!

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Liesl, that is exactly why it took me two years to make a decision. I feared it would be a great hassle to switch the machine back and forth. Since this machine is so new to me, I haven’t given it enough time to really put it to the test of switching, though it’s really not as bothersome as I was initially thinking.

Suse, I suspect you will really enjoy the Janome. That large harp space truly is a wonderful feature. I should correct my last post, I said Babylock “Evolve” when in fact it’s a Babylock “Evolution”…sorry about that. It’s only because this machine was discounted very well, and never used, that I purchased it first, instead of the Janome. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. My eyes are still on that Janome. πŸ˜‰

Carol

LINK
    suse @suse

Liesl – thank you so much for your reply – that’s exactly the reason why I want a dedicated coverstitcher, swapping back and forth seems like such a waste of time.

Carol – I’m going to get a demo on the Huskylock S21 next week, but will most likely order the Janome – the dealer does both Husqvarna/Viking and Janome but only gets the Janome in on special order. I think that my mind is made up!! I’ll let you know how I go with it. πŸ™‚

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I bought the combo Suse(rather hubby bought it for me),big mistake-royal pain in the bum to swap over!

A small tip,my cover stitch doesn’t like fat seams,so when I hem I fold the side seam in opposite directions above and below the seam(twist it),so that I am stitching one seam layer instead of double. It presses up nicely.

Yours may not have that problem,just thought I would mention it!

LINK
    suse @suse

Thanks Nicole – great idea! I’ve heard that about coverstitchers in general actually. Another tip (which I think I may have even read here) which I’ve been doing is hitting my seams at the hem with a hammer and they flatten down nicely. Noisy but effective LOL.

I’m getting really excited now!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

So have you made your decision? Sounds like it from the excitement in your voice. My overlocker doesn’t have coverstitch but my mum has one that has been sitting in it’s box with coverstitch (she’s too scared to get it out). I was actually quite envious until I’ve been reading all these posts about how inconvenient a combo machine can be. I think when the time comes for me to want a machine that does coverstitch, I will endeavour to think about going for just that – all these little morsels of useful information make for very happy shopping trips.

Good luck with your purchase Suse. Do tell use if you end up with the Janome or not – I’m a Janome fan also!

LINK
    suse @suse

I just ordered the Janome!! *little dance of excitement*. It won’t arrive for a couple of weeks, but it’s coming! Yay! Will keep you all updated once it arrives!

LINK
    jaimielaura @jaimielaura

Suse, would you please let me know if you like the Janome coverstitch? This post is from three years ago, but I am considering purchasing one.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Slightly off topic but after 3 years of aggravation I have had my overlocker/coverstitch serviced and set to purely a coverstitch.

I really, really wish I had just gone with a coverstitch in the first place.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Jaimielaura: I recently bought a Janome Coverpro 1000 CPX and love it. I’ve got several attachments to do elastic etc., but mostly only use it to do hems….which it does so professionally.
    If you go to patternreview.com there is a section that reviews coverstitch machines so you can read what owners have to say.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I also have the Janome 1000cpx. I use it at least once a week. I love having separate machines so they can be set up ready to go all the time and I can swap from one to the other half way through a project πŸ™‚
    I really like the extra room in the harp of the Janome. There has been multiple times when I’ve been very glad it’s there. I also use the cover stitch for doing perfectly parallel rows of top stitching as well as hemming knits πŸ™‚

LINK
    jaimielaura @jaimielaura

Thanks everyone! I purchased the Janome 1000 CPX this afternoon and cannot wait to try it out! Very excited!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.