Oliver + S

Adding sleeves to pinwheel slip dress

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Mel @Mel

I’m thinking about spring although it doesn’t look like spring here yet! My daughter loves the pinwheel slip dress I made last year; the tunic, not so much. The problem is that she’s not allowed to wear tops with “spaghetti straps” to school. I’d like to make another one with more coverage (but not the full sleeve since apparently that’s not “pretty”). Since the straps are integrated into the dress, I don’t think I can just widen them. I thought about adding a flutter sleeve but I think that would be too fussy looking compared to the rest of the dress. Anyone have any suggestions?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I wonder if you could draft a flutter sleeve in a sheer fabric, something very soft and floaty, and stitch it behind the existing strap?

Something on the bias so it falls nicely.

I will have a ponder today.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about using the badminton sleeve or the geranium flutter sleeve. I’m not sure how the strap is made but could you sandwich in the strap. I think a flutter sleeve would look lovely and be in keeping with the flounces 🙂

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’m not sure what size you are making but if you widen the bit on the dress and its corresponding facings where the strap attaches and then cut a wider strap that you gather into the dress? Maybe you could even shape the strap a little to add the extra width on the shoulder side and not on the neck side. If the fabric isn’t too stiff it would fall over her shoulder sort of like a cap sleeve?

Did that make sense?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.