Oliver + S

Adding Eyelet Contrast Band as Hem

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Michelle D. @livefaithgirl

Hi everyone, I’m a bit stuck. I want to add about a 4-6″ contrast piece of eyelet at the bottom of the rollerskate dress. I want to use the scalloped edge as the hem. The dress lining will show through nicely. My question is, since the dress is A-line, and since I don’t want to lose the scallop hem detail, do I just “straighten” the hem instead?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It isnt a huge deal to straighten this hem so I think it would be ideal. You won’t be needing a hem allowance because of edging so I think you can get away with straightening it and having a fab result. Can’t wait to see the end result. Sounds beautiful! Just remember to add the seam allowances to both pieces to connect the lace band or else it will end up shorter than the lining. Cant wait to see.

Tamara

LINK

Thank you for the speedy reply!!! I’m in the middle of cutting everything now πŸ™‚ so I really appreciate it!

Michelle

LINK

I think I should add the lace band without a back seam, just cut a back and front on the fold (allowing for s.a.). Thoughts anyone?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That would work well. So you’ll just join it at the side seams?

LINK

Or … do I do one seam at the back? Just one long strip, since the hem is now straight. would only have to make sure the scallops match at the back seam. Sigh, I think I am overthinking this.

LINK

I would make the join at the side seam as I feel it is less noticeable there.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would put the seam at the back. Perhaps cut it a little longer and sew it on leaving a few inches at each end. Sew the lace together and then finish attaching it to the hem.

A little like the way flat piping is added.

LINK

But still just do one seam then? At the side?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

The side seam may affect the fall, extra weight at one side.

Then again, its a child’s dress, not a wedding gown. I am sure it will be lovely.

LINK

Very true! Let’s get sewing then, shall we!! Thanks ladies! I’ll let you know how it goes πŸ™‚

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its sound so pretty. I have not made this pattern yet. I look forward to seeing yours.

~Nicole~

LINK

I finished the dress, it turned out just as I had hoped, thanks for the help! The eyelet band is really pretty. I ended up using the technique outlined by Nicole above, seaming at the back only. I posted to Instagram today if you want a sneakpeak (I’m livefaithgirl on IG) but I will post to the flickr pools next week when I blog about my adventure. I have to say, the pattern is just so so lovely, more than I had anticipated before sewing it. Thanks again for the quick help, I really appreciate it πŸ™‚

Michelle

LINK

Glad it worked out for you. It is always lovely when A project in your head works out well in fabric. πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.