Oliver + S

2+2 in knit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Noodles @Noodles

Hey lovely ppl,

Just wondering has anyone tried this pattern in a knit fabric? I was considering making it without the buttons at the back as I know others have done, but then wondered if a knit would work, would certainly make the getting on/off easier. I think it should work ok. what do you think?

Melissa

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think that is a wonderful idea!

Possibly stick to a woven for the binding to stabilise the neck and make sure you stay stitch the neck line as directed by the pattern.

I can’t wait to see what you make!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I’ve been contemplating this one in a knit too. Instead of using a woven I’ve thought about a rib knit for the ties. I’ll give it a whirl tonight and see if it turns out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think one would need a very firm knit Johanna,or it may stretch and look a bit sloppy. To use ribbing one would almost need to cut it shorter and stretch it to fit. That may work quite well if you then use ribbon for the ties or omit and do a loop and button?

Hmmm,you have me thinking now!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

My plan with the rib knit was to measure the neckline, and then multiply by 2/3’s and that would be the the neckline, and then I was going to “relax” the rib knit (i.e. not stretch it any more) as it extends off the edges and zig zag the edges closed. It may be a total bust, but I have some inexpensive interlock that I’m willing to give it a whirl with.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Your a whizz Johanna,can’t wait to see what you make!

LINK
    Noodles @Noodles

ok, so it’s all cut out. Now just need to find time to put it together. I’m not the greatest knit sewer, so fingers crossed. It also doesn’t help that I’m sewing the smallest size in everything girlie, everything is so small and fiddly. So here’s hoping the Doodle bug and the Noodle behave today and I can squeeze in some sewing.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

johanna,how did you go?

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Really well, and very easy. I just put it up on Flickr-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johanna_e_olson/5463072206/

I used interfacing on the back of the patch, and folded over the seam allowances instead of using two layers, I was worried that the patch would be too thick if there were two layers of fabric. I sewed the neck almost the same way as the directions, but I cut the neckline piece across the grain, and added 1/2 inch to the piece widthwise because I figured it would lose a little width when I stretched it. I cut the back piece on the fold, and I lined up the fold with where the buttonholes should end. As my daughter would say- Easy Peasy, Lemon Squeezy.

LINK
    Noodles @Noodles

haha Johanna we must be on just about the same timetable! Just finished and posted mine too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/noodleshandmade/5462561227/ I mostly made it as the pattern says, except for the same deal with the back, no buttons, just cut on the fold where the button holes would have ended. I made my tab and neck binding from cotton, so no stretch, but seems to still fit over the Noodle’s big head. I think it turned out ok. Am now in love with the CW knit though. How nice is it to sew???? so soft!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

It was on my list for yesterday, but some family came into town at the last minute, so we wanted to see them while they were here. I have a stash of the CW knit, and I have to resolve to use it each time because I love it so much. I have to remind myself that later can easily be NOW!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

You are both clever chicks!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.