Oliver + S

2013 sewing plans

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Regarding the Communion dress – I have a photo of myself in my First Communion dress that my great-aunt made me – all the other little girls had these elaborate store-bought dresses, and my mother had my aunt make me a very simple A-line dress with lace running down the front. Really, it was beautiful in it’s simplicity.

Needlewoman – thanks for the thoughts on the quilting that I’m hopefully going to attempt. I actually have some pre-cuts on order – Aneela Hoey’s new Posy line that I’m VERY excited for -and am planning something from that. I think the daunting part to me is not the piecing – it’s what the heck to do after that….the actual quilting, binding, etc. That’s where I have no clue what to do…..I have a couple of books I bought many years ago, and will look through Flickr, some blogs that I’ve bookmarked to get me started. I’m really looking forward to it, actually….

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Neeldlewoman, I’ve put up pics of my finished mermaid skirt and pattern pieces with a brief description

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Brilliant, to all of the above!!!! I love Aneela Hoey’s stuff!! I have a full FQ set of the Into the Woods collections which I can’t wait to get started on; trouble is I keep changing my mind.

Julia, the basting, quilting, and the binding is the more challenging bit of quilting, there’s no denying it? Do you know any quilting friends who can give you a hand when you get to that part. It can be a lot like learning to knit; it’s a lot easier when you have someone guiding you. I taught my self with Debbie Mumm’s patterns – mainly because her block patterns of about 15 yrs ago pointed out where to quilt – mainly stitch in the ditch, or outline quilting. To do this day, I can’t do free-hand quilting to save my life. Make sure you have a walking foot and a quarter inch foot. The first is essential to quilting, the second makes all assembling with patchwork a million times less frustrating. The two best tools I ever bought!!

Be back when I’ve seen pics.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I went on the hunt today for possible matches to the check for the school dresses that are being introduced this year. One is cotton and the other polyester and I am really really hoping one (the cotton) is a match! I also have suspicions as to which company they are going through to order the uniforms in and if this is the case I have no chance of getting the fabric from them! So I am crossing my fingers and toes and everything else I can get a match for the fabric. I would really love to see samples but there are none for the time being.

I will get started on things for school next week, things like a chair bag, reading folders, has and the like cam be sorted prior to the event and ready to go. Then I can get fabric and get uniforms sorted within the first weeks back so that is done for summer at least.

I would like to learn how to make fitted sheets this year because miss 10 has a new mattress that seems to be a bit bigger than what the average king single can allow. That is another thing I really would like to learn to do.

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I see I’m not the only one eagerly awaiting Aneela Hoey’s Posy line. I have been saving my pennies and can’t wait for it to be released! 2013 will definitely incorporate some Posy’s! 🙂

Jane

http://www.NotSewPlain.blogspot.com

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Heidi, thanks for great pics of mermaid outfit; really kind of you to take the time. Will look fwd to pictures from you, Jane, and Julia with stuff made from the A. H’s “Posy” range. Amendment to naming my fabric – it’s called Walk in the Woods – I was getting a bit Sondheim above.

LINK

Your welcome needlewoman, putting the pics up gave me something to go when I wasn’t feeling well a couple of days a ago. I’ve started on this years sewing goals, 2 things from my WIP (WHS, work has stalled/stopped) pile.

LINK

I just finished up one of the remaining 3 quilts I had, this on only needed the final sew down of the binding, it had been ready and pinned for over a year :/ But it is done now! 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Well, more than half the year is gone and I certainly have not done 7 pattern busts. I have gone comfier with piping, which was one goal, and I am about halfway through a gruesomely ugly skirt for myself, as well as two tshirts for myself. I am thinking back to my first knitted and sewn items and how horrendous they were and feeling the gruesome skirt/tshirts are not at all bad by comparison.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Well I have definitely sewn more patterns, but I’ve also bought more patterns. 🙂

The only pattern I’ve had for a while and not made is the birthday party dress. I also should get to the pinwheel pattern. It looks great, but it will not be a stash busting pattern. I will have to buy a pieces of fabric to have enough for those flounces.

On the other hand, I’ve made a bunch of class picnic shorts and even a school days jacket. I’m sure I’ve made more than 2 a month. Maybe three a month.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Just traced off my first Roller Skate, (size 4), and my first Bubble dresses ( 6mth and 18mth), and wait, there’s more – just ordered 6 paper patterns c/o of the Summer Sale. So pleased to be able to get such a great bargain. Especially for the other sizes of patterns – like the Family Reunion Dress – that I already have and found so easy to sew that I’m not too intimidated by sewing smaller ones. Lashed out on the Pinwheel frock too. With the Aussie summer in view (well, it is if you take the long view), I can see that one thrilling some older girls.

As to plans, I want to make some quilts, but it’s hard to get on with them when there are so many delicious kids’ clothes to sew. But I must!!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Fiona there are some great quilt ideas out there featuring pre cuts – just to sink your teeth back into the idea! Camille Roskelley (who teams with her mum to design gorgeous fabric – Bonnie and Camille) has a couple of books with simple yet lovely designs in them. I have a completed quilt top from one of the books ready to quilt – once I locate the right colour thread that is.

Some of the plans re: house sewing have flown out the window but I am still doing the quilt I had intended for the dining room wall! I will find a nice spot for it somewhere! So that leaves a few gaps in the schedule to fill up.

The only thing that is being fulfilled right now is the quilting goals. But I have to change lanes again soon.

LINK
    homefire @homefire

I’m bit late for 2013 plans but I’ll get in on the last half! It’s been a while since I’ve really gone shopping for my girls but this spring due to my health (a nasty respiratory virus that left me worn out and playing catch up in ALL areas of my life) and the help of some gift cards my 8yo and I went shopping for most of her summer clothes. I wasn’t thrilled with the fit and fabric quality but we were able to find some things to get her through the season. A mere 2 months later and the RTW pieces have shrunk in odd places making them fit even worse, the colors have faded terribly and seams are fraying while the few things I was able to sew are still going strong.

That said, I am committed to sewing most if not all of her fall/winter wardrobe. I’m working on putting together a SWAP that is realistic for me to get done and is mix and match to get the most use out of the fewest things. Between my experience this summer and the growing awareness of the true cost of cheap clothing I’m also going to be doing the “boring” things that in the past I have bargain hunted for. Things like leggings and layering tees, and undershirts.

Is anyone else thinking about the next season yet? I’d love to hear how you plan things out (or not).

LINK
    Robin @Robin

As 2013 rapidly draws to a close, I’ve noticed that I have taken very few pictures of the things I’ve sewn. Sophie’s probably grown out of most of the things made for her in the beginning of the year.

How did everyone else do with their 2013 resolutions?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think I’ve done pretty well. I didn’t make the advent calendar (maybe next year!) but I did get comfy with piping, and now have two Everyday Skirts which I love and wear often. I have definitely busted 12 patterns since January, as well as a long-planned garment, the Paddington school days coat, finally getting made. My goals for next year … well, actually I’ll post a 2014 thread so we can find them again at the end of next year and see how we did.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.