Oliver + S

2 questions about Red Riding Hood Cape – Reversible? Sizing for toddler?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

I’m about to make the cape for my 20 month old daughter but it only offers a size medium or large. Do you think it would be way too big for her now? I’m afraid I’m not experienced to scale it down to a small myself.

Also, it seems as though this could easily be made reversible by putting a button on both sides. Am I missing a detail that would prevent that?

Thank you!!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think the cape could certainly be made reversible by putting a button on each side, yes. As far as sizing goes, it may be a bit large on a 20-month-old. But she’ll just be able to wear it for longer then as she grows into it, right?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Liesl (anyone), do you have an opinion about making this cape in a laminate? I was thinking over lunch (it’s starting to rain a bit here) that something light like this would be great to keep in the car for rains that sneak up on you while you’re out in town.

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

Maraya, great question! I was waiting for the Modern Workshop to make a laminate coat for kiddo. The only concern that I had for using this as a raincoat are the slits for hands.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Liesl, I haven’t gotten my hands on the book, but this is one of the things that drew me to it. Do you think it would be hard to scale it down to toddler size?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Loralee, I do recognize having the hands out might get ‘messy’, but it also seemed a little endearing to me…splashing around in the spring rain with a little rain cape. Could be I’m just asking for trouble?!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

When I made it I liked the idea of it being reversible – I just added an extra button on the inside, like Liesl suggested.

Oliver + S Little Things to Sew - Hooded Cape

Girl was approximately size 10. I believe I made the Large size… I think?

LINK
    Loralee @Loralee

April, I posted a question for you on flickr but I see you answered it here 6 hours ago! That will teach me. Stop here first. LOL So you made the large? I’m not sure what size to make for my narrow size 5 (she’s 8 1/2!!) I’m thinking I might need to make the medium. And I’m totally going to make it reversible since the kiddo likes the lining and I like the cotton/linen blend.

Maraya, you may be asking for trouble but I think a rain cape sounds endearing, too!! ‘Trouble’ is my kiddo’s middle name. 🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think it would work as a rain cape. No raincoat is going to be completely waterproof unless you’ve taped the seams (don’t ask–it’s done in heavy-duty rainwear, but I have no idea where you would buy the tape and the machine for applying the tape, so don’t get any ideas…). Even if you get a little rain seeping in at the slits for the arms it’s still going to cover the important parts of the body much in the same way an umbrella would work. Right? It might be a little stiff in a laminate, but as long as that doesn’t bother you I would say give it a try.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

See, it’s things like this that you know that just make me want to sit and make a detailed outline of every little sewing nook and cranny in your mind. I love it! Taped seams for actual waterproof…. my mind never would have thought to process that far…. (but, trusting you completely, I am not getting any ideas – I just love that you KNOW that detail! hahaa)

>>>unless you’ve taped the seams (don’t ask–it’s done in heavy-duty rainwear, but I have

>>>no idea where you would buy the tape and the machine for applying the tape, so don’t

>>>get any ideas…).

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, you’d be frightened by the minutia that clutters my mind, April…

…and, conversely, the important things that manage to completely escape it!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

They sell that sort of tape at my local fabric store. It’s actually an iron-on tape that you apply to all seams from the inside. I suppose you trim the seam allowances and iron it on. Not more complicated than that.

http://www.stoffochstil.se/Katalog/Mode.aspx?group_id=5760&articleid=24124

I think that idea is great though – as a cover up for sudden rain showers. Definitely trying that out!

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Thank you! I’m going to make it anyway abd just let her swim in it for now and at least she should get a few good years out of it. The book suggests using wool as a fabric, which I would like to do for the lining, but then I wouldn’t be able to throw it in the washer, right? Other side will be a baby wale corduroy.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You shouldn’t machine wash laminates or wool, in my opinion. In fact, many manufacturers suggest that laminates be only wiped down with a damp sponge to clean them. The fabric and the laminate will separate if they’re machine washed. But check the care instructions on the bolt, or do a little swatch test if you’ve already purchased the fabric and don’t have that information.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Very good to know about the laminates. I would have thrown it straight into the wash as soon as the lining got dirty. That seems to be a very good reason to have a separate lining when using laminates.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.