Oliver + S

Sewing for Yourself

Upholstery Fabric for Jacket?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

Hello! Not sure if I’m posting in the correct place but I’ll give this a whirl! (Update, I appear to be posting in the correct space now after an initial error). I would like to make the Caramel Jacket by Waffle patterns for myself. Will a fabric that is 9.2 oz per square yard be too heavy? It is described as upholstery fabric so I’m thinking maybe its not appropriate for a jacket. However, I live in Canada, so heavier could be better (warmer)? Plus I really really love the colours in this plaid! I will put the link to the fabric below, hopefully it works. I appreciate any and all advice, this could be the first project I make for myself!
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0352881/p-kaufmann-sticky-wicket-woven-twill-pearl-grey

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Lisa.

I love love love that pattern and your fabric choice is gorgeous but…. may I suggest you definitely request a sample?
    I regularly run the gauntlet of unusual fabric choices but the description does say heavy and there is no mention of apparel at all.
    You would also have some pattern matching to do with the plaid.
    Also, it is dry clean only although being cotton you *may* be able to hand wash it but pre-wash the fabric.

May I gently suggest you consider a wool fabric?

Like this https://www.fabric.com/buy/0266458/wool-blend-melton-charcoal

Now I feel really mean.
    Sorry. 🙁

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

Thank you Nicole for your advice! No need to feel mean, it would be terrible to pay all that money just to end up with something unusable! I’m excited to take a look at eBay, I had never thought to look there for fabric. You linked to some really cute ones! 🙂

LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

I am also considering using a corduroy for the exterior and a satin lining. Given that it’s my first time making this pattern as well as the first time making grown up clothes it might be best to keep it simple and not have to worry too much about pattern matching. It wouldn’t be a winter coat with these fabrics but would be okay for the shoulder seasons.

I am thinking this corduroy:
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0294564/wide-wale-corduroy-grey

And this lining:
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0291725/charmeuse-satin-large-polka-dots-ivory-mutli
    A little unsure about using polyester. I always use natural fabrics for my daughter. Will it breath? I’m sure I own plenty of store bought jackets with polyester linings so probably I’m worrying too much. Again, I love the print, so fun as a lining!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That grey cord is yummy!
    Liesl recommended reversing the nap of the cord for a really lush look, I always do that now and it does look wonderful.

I crazy love that lining fabric. If you are worried you will be too warm (which I doubt, in Canada brrr) you could line the sleeves with the silk stuff and use a cotton or lawn for the body or just the back?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Lisa, I think you latest fabric choices are perfect! It looks like a wonderful pattern. I’m interested to find out how you go with it as I have a feeling my own teen will be wanting one when our winter rolls around again.

LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

Thanks for the encouragement, I took the plunge and ordered! I should have fabric by next week, exciting!

Nicole, I have seen some of the projects you have made with the reversed nap, it does look beautiful! Thanks for reminding me!

I will update with my progress on the jacket. I haven’t been too productive with my sewing lately what with my recent return to the work force. I need to make time for my creative side though! I hope that I get along well with this pattern… I always have great results with O+S but I haven’t always faired so well with other companies.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@Lisa, do keep us updated. I love a good sew!
    xx Nicole

LINK
    Lisa @ldk237

Definitely! I’ll no doubt be asking for advice along the way, and what better place than here?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Awww, warm and fluffy sewing love.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.