Oliver + S

Sewing for Yourself

another question!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ok, I need your input again. What are your feelings about spaghetti straps. For yourself, I mean. Will you wear them? And what about shirts with racer backs? Too hard to wear with a bra?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My girls and I love racer back tops. We work out and have nice shoulders and want to show them.

I don’t find visible bra straps a problem and younger women don’t mind at all.

Spaghetti straps are very pretty too. I wouldn’t wear them to sit in the sun all day but otherwise, very cool and comfortable.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Liesl, would it be pretty simple to change the width of the spaghetti strap? Feels like an easy modification.

Racer backs are great for working out. Easy to wear with a sports bra.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Back when I was younger/perter/leaner I would have foregone the underwear and worn these styles. Nowadays I’d limit it to gym wear or swimmers (racer back) or lingerie or black tie (spaghetti straps). I can’t deal with visible bra straps, and can’t be bothered with strapless bras for everyday wear 😣

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

I love when women wear spaghetti straps! If anyone is concerned with visible bra straps for us less perky creatures, I’m a great fan of the clear bra strap. As for racer back tops, I personally can’t stand them. I feel like they belong with active wear and in a workout setting alone. That said, I don’t like the fit of racerback anything on myself, but that perhaps has to do with my figure/build.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I like spaghetti strap tops, but only if I can get away with being braless in them (I’m small-breasted, so that usually means layering with a snug tank). Racerback tops always look like activewear to me, and I definitely wouldn’t wear one that showed the bra band itself. I am not a fan of visible bra straps – I think it looks sloppy (and that’s coming from a jeans & t-shirt woman!).

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

Around this neck of the woods..teen girls show straps and most moms don’t, so I guess it depends on the target for this pattern? I prefer shirts that I don’t have to find/wear a “special bra” with. But if it had a built in that would make the difference. 🙂

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Not for me I’m afraid. I really haven’t (deliberately) shown my bra straps since my early 20s, and I don’t intend to! Yes for evening and sports wear but I have no need for evening wear.

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

I love racer backs, all my favorite tops and dresses have them. I find that if I situate my straps appropriately they barely show, but I wouldn’t care if they did. I do have a little clip thingy that hooks on the straps between the shoulder blades for fancier affairs at which visible straps might be a faux pas.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

yes to both!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m another no-intentional-bra-strapper, and while I keep meaning to buy a different style of bra that will allow me to wear a racerback style (which I actually find very comfortable as well as liking how it looks) I somehow have never gotten around to it, which probably reveals something.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’m cautious about bra straps at work, but not at home. Spaghetti straps and racer backs are both pretty casual for me.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.