Oliver + S

Heirloom Sewing and Embroidery

inspiration for First communion dress?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

what are your favorite sites to browse for ideas? Just brainstorming as it is a whole schoolyear away (April 2016) but if previous years are any indication, my daughter’s school tends to go rather big. I can do big and princessy, but I’d also like to have some meticulous wouldn’t-do-this-for-anyone-but-family handwork, and of course really comfortable fabric next-to-skin.
    Everything I am seeing is sleeveless and looks very flower-girl/mini-bride. Pinterest runs the gamut from gigantic to slipdresses, but not a lot I’d like to make. Maybe I just don’t know where to look? If it is sleeveless i’d knit or sew a jacket/capelet to match…

LINK
    Kerrilyn @Kerrilyn

Have you seen some of Melanie’s work? http://queenoftheflies.blogspot.com.au/?m=1

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Are you in a warm climate? I made one of my daughters a Seashore dress http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/silky-seashore-success.html

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

dress at homeso the angst with regard to a magnum opus was not unfounded, but i am overall pleased with the result. I drafted a princess-seamed full circle skirt with long sleeves.
    Silk dupioni lined in cotton voile, with embroidered organza sleeves and veil. I bought silk organza and was going to do the embroidery myself, but chanced upon some leftover from my wedding ensemble that was enough for sleeves and veil.
    I presented it to her and it was declared “okay. It needs… more.” So that night I sewed on, one by one, seed beads and tiny nacar flowerettes for that “…more.”
    I will add a better pic when her portraits come. null

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I was all prepared to be amazed by this picture but I for some reason cannot see it!😕 I am sure you did a superb job nonetheless. My daughter’s confirmation isn’t until November next year so I guess it is my turn to look about. We don’t do veils though and I am guessing there will be specifications as to how much of the “more” we are allowed – I know in a previous confirmation class to mine there were so many girls and they argued that much over competitive “my dress is better than yours” scenarios that they and every class thereafter had to wear rediculous looking cassocks!

I am leaning towards a fit and flare or Bistro dress style for my eldest but I won’t start on it until next year. I am looking forward to seeing these photos of your girl in her dress. I bet she looked stunning!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I’m sorry, the pictures work for me! I hesitate to add them to the o+S flickr pool because it’s not an o+S pattern, but they are in my photostream…
    photostream…

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

pro photo
    her professional photographer picture.
    pro photo

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Tamara, thankfully in 2nd grade they only compare how well their dresses spin! 😀
    I do remember for my own first communion in Catholic school we had a uniform — a very sweet empire-waist puff sleeve affair in voile.
    How old is your girl for confirmation — is it 7th or 8th grade? At that time (even more so than others) they grow like weeds and definitely have their own tastes… maybe you could browse Pinterest together and see what appeals to her!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.