Oliver + S

Heirloom Sewing and Embroidery

I need to make the prettiest flower girl dress ever!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

After lots of saving and uncertainty, the tickets are booked and we are definitely going to Ireland for my cousin’s wedding! Kitty will be the flower girl and I totally splurged on

The fabric has a gorgeous drape and will gather up beautifully, so I think a full skirt is in order. But I just keep going back and forth on what I want to do with it. The bride has given me complete freedom and loves the fabric. Would anyone like to offer suggestions?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I don’t do much in the way of fine hand work but I joined this group purely to comment on this!
    So excited to see what you do. I still have that Vogue pattern I can post to you, if you like.

Why not start a Pinterest board?

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Would you like it to reflect the bride’s or bridesmaids’ dress/es in any way? usually there is a little detail that can serve as a jumping-off point, like a portrait collar or bit of design on the lace.
    If that isn’t a consideration, go for the most opulent/fiddly/would-not-do-this-for-pay beading/smocking/embroidery. Maybe even save some work for the plane ride!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I can’t see the fabric you splurged on, is there supposed to be a link or attachment? I doubt I can suggest anything you haven’t thought of but I’m excited to see what you’ll make!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Sorry! I meant to say I splurged on this dreamy stuff: http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=962522810499625&Store_id=198&page_id=23&Item_ID=31939

I do have a Pinterest board here: http://www.pinterest.com/melanieew/flower-girl/. but the fabric is so unique! I keep flip flopping on how to best use it. Plus, I thought it would be fun to talk about! What is more lovely than little girls in white dresses?

Here’s my current favorite: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/76420524903361892/ The fabric there is quite different though, so I’m not sure it would work.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by meleliza.
    LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Nicole, which pattern? I’m sorry! Too much in my head right now.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

More links! This is the brides dress, but please keep it hush hush! http://www.pronovias.us/wedding-dresses-2014/collection-fashion-lamero

The bridesmaids will be in a deep blue, but I haven’t seen the dresses. The fabric I bought was on the cover of sew beautiful magazine in a reproduction of a dress worn by Caroline Kennedy in the famous Avedon family portraits. http://store.marthapullen.com/sew-beautiful-april-may-2014 I have the issue, but I’m not sure I’m in love with it for K for this occasion.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, what pretty fabric and SO perfect for an Irish wedding! I was drawn to that same photo from your Pinterest board as well. One suggestion I’d make is to make the underlayer a slightly darker shade than the overlayer. With white on white I find that sometimes I can’t see the pretty details as well as I’d like.

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

What an amazing pinterest board of inspiration! We don’t envy your decision in the least! How old is your daughter that you’ll be sewing for?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

She is 4, so 4 1/2 for the wedding. She’s pretty tall and as the youngest, quite grown up for her age.

@sarvi
    , that is such a truly excellent idea I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before! I am actually kicking myself in the behind right now. It would also help with the photos.

@reeni
    , in theory, I would like to be inspired by the brides dress, but really I don’t think it will translate. I did think about one of those old fashioned wrap back dresses/pinafores where you get a V shape at the back that might echo the bride but still be very young. But that might be forcing it too much…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

What about Anna Maria Horner’s Paper Fan Dress bodice with a beautifully full skirt? It has a crossover buttoned back bodice.
    http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/paper-fans.html

LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

Hmmmm. The Children’s Corner, Hillary makes a “V” for the back closure and has some sweet angel sleeves. Still thinking….

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I Like both of those. I have a children’s corner one that is just like the Anna Maria, except it has smocking. I really love Hillary with all those sleeve options. I will really need to find some less expensive similar fabric to mock up various sleeves. I’m finding it difficult to visualize how I want the fabric to behave.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

On seeing the bride’s dress, would you consider doing a flutter-sleeve Library Dress with the front in a v? you could even finely pleat the fabric like the bride’s bodice if you have the patience, or do the dense-on-the-sides, less-in-the-middle flowers on the waist… like cut them out of the voile and re-embroider them overlapping on the band.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, I will definitely consider that! I could do some pleating or pintucks on a solid voile for the bodice, but not on the embroidery. It’s just logistically unsuited to anything other than using it as is, or piecing it in long strips like they did in Sew Beautiful.

But yes, I’m definitely thinking of the front V now. Thanks!

Beautiful fabric I can’t decide how to use – Isn’t this just a delightful problem to have? I wish the same “troubles” for all of you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.