Oliver + S

Heirloom Sewing and Embroidery

Easter Sewing

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    Frances Suzanne @Frances Suzanne

Can you believe Easter is a little over 2 months away?!?! Anyone have any plans to incorporate heirloom sewing and embroidery into their Easter sewing? And, if so…how?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have this little dress I have been itching to make from Australian Smocking and Embroidery (issue number will come to mind shortly I hope) called Mignonette. It involves smocking, insertion lace and embroidery down the centre of a t shaped panel. Whether I will get to it for Easter or not is one thing as it falls early this year. But the aim is to make it in general.

I have always thought it would make a particularly lovely Easter dress for a baby’s first Easter though and because the weather will be still hot here (Australia) in early April, there is no need for coats and such.

LINK

Oh my….that’s lovely {had to look it up online}!! I can completely see why you’ve been itching to make the Mignonette. We hope to make our youngest niece a dress from AS&E for Easter as well. It is Twinkle Toes from AS&E issue 58. Time will tell if we get it done :).

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh yes that’s another one of the favourites on my to do list but because we will be heading into winter (whatever that is around here) and my baby is still very much a “lying down” baby, that one is earmarked for more around the first birthday mark. I might even adapt one of Gail Doane’s bishops to make it fit her when she’s walking. It would be very pretty so I hope you get the chance to make it for Easter.

I just wish the amount of time could match the amount of things on the list. Maybe time to start a Grandmother’s hope chest? Perish the thought! I’d make them for the sake of it!

LINK

Love, love, love Gail Doane’s gorgeous creations!! Funny thing….we briefly met her last weekend, while “crashing” an heirloom sewing class she was teaching. Luckily, it was during lunch so we got a quick photo with her and were able to ooooh and aaaah over the loveliness she brought to showcase.

Yes, yes, yes….if only the time could match our “to do” list! Wouldn’t that be nice…

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I had the very great pleasure of taking a couple of classes with Gail when she came to Australia for Beating around the bush a few years ago (about 8?) we made Primrose from the Beautiful Bishops book – I did size 18 month I think and it still isn’t completed so maybe for next Easter it will be done.

I also did another dress with her that involved Brazillian embroidered flowers – again a UFO but I have an excuse to complete them both now.

She’s very informative and her work is out of this world gorgeous. So glad you got to “crash” her class and meet her.

LINK

We’ve only heard rave reviews about any of Gail’s classes….so, we can only imagine how wonderful taking two of her classes would be. Ooooh, yes!! You must finish them now – so nice to have an excuse to do so.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Some time ago, I had the honour of arranging accommodation and a venue for classes given by Gail Doane and Susan O’Connor. The duo were doing a sort of “Thelma and Louise” tour across North America in Gail’s suburban. Lucky me, they chose to put Toronto on their route.
    I got to spend a whole week taking classes with Gail and what a wonderful experience it was! I learned so much and had far too much fun in the process.Gail and Susan are not only such talented women but also delightful and entertaining.
    At the end of the week Gail’s truck broke down so my husband called a tow for them. When the big dual axel truck (a dually) arrived, Susan exclaimed, “Oh, look! It’s got hips”.
    I’ll never forget that comment and certainly never forget the sewing techniques I learned from Gail.

LINK

That’s fantastic, Deb…..and I’ll never be able to look at big dual axel trucks the same :). There are lots of those hips down south!!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Giggle! That’s the Aussie humour coming out! Both Susan and Gail are very talented and lovely people. Nothing worse than a cranky embroidery instructor – they definitely fall in the “happy” group.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Easter sewing already done! By which I mean I tried on last years dress and it still fits. 😉 I can’t even be bothered to let out the hem.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Good for you Meleliza! Actually, I have the Edwardian daygown I made for a Royal Agricultural show a few years ago handy should it be that time runs away from me. It’s actually longer than I thought it would be but so very very pretty.

But I really want to make Mignonette before she starts walking and running away from me! And then I can put it away as another heirloom for her babies – should she be blessed with them.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Not for Easter, but I have been planning Beatrix’s outfit for her 11 month photo.
    I have taken a portrait of each of my babies at 11 months of age, wearing a smocked outfit.
    Beatrix was lucky enough to receive two smocked dresses from her honorary Nana in Canada and the little white dress will be perfect for the photo.
    11 months is such a lovely age, I have the photos blown up, in gold frames, in a row down the passage.

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Nicole.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.