Oliver + S

Heirloom Sewing and Embroidery

Baptism Gown

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I made a baptism gown that Audrey and Josephine wore, but unfortunately it is a 3 month size, and Dorothy is not going to be baptised until visit Australia in September. She’s already about to grow out of the one her sisters wore (I’m thinking of taking photos in the next week, just so she has at least worn it!).
    Baptism gown
    It’s adapted from one of the designs in the Country Bumpkins Christening Gowns book.

Any ideas for a gown to be worn in Queensland in late September?

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

late September is edging into spring, right? I’d say something that you could layer because you never know if it will be chilly or beautiful weather. maybe a Library dress or carousel in white flannel?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@jay_1965vw that gown is gorgeous! Now I have to beg the question. Do you want to go heirloom-y and have one just for Dot or are you after something more simple to “get the job done”. Do you want embroidery, smocking etc?

I would do a natural fibre, even though I am not really familiar with Queensland weather in September but I can imagine that it would be warm to hot during the day and coolish evenings.

I have another question, do you specifically want the traditional white? The reason why I ask is that, like weddings colours seem to be creeping in. Personally I love a beautiful long gown of white and maybe a bit of colour in the embroidery. I made one that my older two children wore (the Godchild As&e I forget the issue number) and then I made another one to enter in the Royal show in Perth which Chloë later wore because she “had to” (because it won best in show and was completely gorgeous!). It was a case of opening the box with the original christening gown and then howling “I don’t know what to wear”.

It is really ok to go long heirloom for Dorothy and then you can have two gowns the girls can choose from later (or you may have to make a third). I am going to have a look in my books to see what would be useful. But do you want lace and smocking and the like? And how much?

The other alternative is for me to send you a cut out ready to sew Library dress in size 6-12 months. The catch is it is pink silk dupion and it has a smocked panel with little seed beads.

And that is also the other thing, do you have your AS&e issues with you?

There are some beautiful Lyn weeks patterns that would be gorgeous. I made the daygown version of the Edwardian christening gown she had in an AS&e issue. Dead easy to put together if you are confident at lace insertion etc. There is also another pattern called Tiffany but I can’t remember the company name that produced it.

Sorry I am not being very helpful…. I will go and have a hunt.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tamara.
    • This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tamara. Reason: Who the heck taught me to spell?
    LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Wow @justsewit, that’s a lot of info for me to take in! Thank you!

@Reeni
    Yes, it will be Spring, but Brisbane will be quite warm already (one year we visited in August, and I didn’t take any short sleeve clothes… Silly me had to go shopping!)

I’ve been looking too – wondering about this kit http://www.oldfashionedbaby.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=159 as it is lacy without being TOO lacy, and being a kit, cuts down on the thinking I have to do 😀
    I don’t want to tackle smocking (too many years since I’ve done any, and I don’t have a pleater, so it’s hard work!).
    I think I can manage most other heirloom stuff with a bit of concentration and time.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I love a shorter gown with matching knickers. Simple batiste with maybe some pin tucking?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes! Old fashioned baby are really lovely, based on real antiques. That one has it’s own individual charm and I found the patterns roomy so because she looks like a scrumptious cuddly darling, it should be perfect!

http://shop.farmhousefabrics.com/stores_app/Browse_dept_items.asp?Shopper_id=144427195234144&Store_id=198&page_id=17&Sub_Department_ID=170&categ_id=170&parent_ids=0&page_viewall=Y&sNode=&Exp=Y&Search_Dept=&Search_Text=&Search_Sku=

I was trying to link to Chadwick heirlooms but… The ipad is not in a cooperative mood this morning😕

Have a look at Collars etc (Trudy Horne) and Ginger snaps and I wish I could find the Wendy Schoen patterns! She had a really beautiful one (and again I found her patterns a good size) or and patterns by Michie are a good size too. I am thinking in terms of possible grow spurts etc.

I would think though that she would be fitting a 3-6 month size or going into a 6-9 month. She isn’t 12 weeks yet is she?

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

@justsewit No, she’s just on 9 weeks, but she’s BIG! She’s just under the 97th percentile, and projecting her growth on the graph in her MACH book, she’ll be 19lb by September (the patterns mostly seem to measure in pounds, so that’s how I worked it out).
    The Tiffany gown pattern looks gorgeous, but it only goes up to 6 month size (by Primrose Lane).
    Chadwick Heirlooms has some lovely things!
    I’m trying to find out if that kit I linked to is pre-cut or not. If not, I could just add a little to the side seams and sleeves (supposed to fit up to 18lb).

@motherof5
    I think I will go with Batiste, but I’ll most likely do a long one with lace. The one above was supposed to be unisex, this one I can go a bit crazy!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@jay_1965vw it is just the kit as the pattern is sold separately so it wouldn’t be cut out. Raglans generally allow a bit more room – like bishop dresses. But I like that thought on the seams, although I am not sure what allowance they would have, I am assuming it would be enough to allow for french seams.

I think it is very beautiful and will suit her perfectly.

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

Thanks Tamara, I think will go with the kit!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.