Oliver + S

Zig zagging seam allowances

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hi there: I’m wondering if anyone knows of a good tutorial (or if Liesel would like to post something on the Oliver and S blog:) fully explaining how to produce a nice looking zig zagged finished seam allowance? I am never sure how wide my zig zag should be?

Would love to hear your wisdom on this!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Purl

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I always us the biggest zigzag width with the stitch length set on 2 (this is my regular stitch length, it only goes up to 4). I don’t use it very often nowadays as I have an over locker but growing up we used this on everything.

LINK
    paula @paula

I am very new to sewing, so I am not sure if my advice is worth much, but I’ve been trimming my seam allowances to 1/4 inch then set my zig zag so that it catches the seam on one side and the fabric edge on the other. I manually move the needle for the first two stitches to make sure I’m on track.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Whereas I zigzag first and trim later. horses for courses! (max stitch width but a bit shorter stitch than my normal sewing)

With lightweight fabrics I find the standard zigzag stitch causes the seam allowance to pucker, so I use a zigzag stitch that does a few stitches to the zig then a couple to the zag (if that makes sense) as it keeps everything lying flat.

French seams are lovely and I now try to find a way to do them whenever I can. Sure beats zigzagging

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.