Oliver + S

Yardage requirements for school days coat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    mc868 @mc868

I’m about to start making my first school days coat (in a size 4). I’m a bit confused about the yardage requirements. Do the amounts given in the fabric chart include enough fabric to make the quilted vest? Is the yardage for the quilted vest included in the amount given for the lining fabric?

And I also just wanted to double check that the insulated lining fabric it calls for is something like Thinsulate that will go in between the jacket fabric and the lining fabric? Thanks all!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I am confident that the insulated stuff is indeed intended to be Thinsulate or similar, though I know folks have also just used wool or cotton quilt batting. I see what you mean about the yardage for the vest — I would imagine that yes, it’s included in the lining yardage. since it’s both short and sleeveless, I don’t think it’s probably very much fabric extra.

LINK
    mc868 @mc868

Thanks! I’ll just buy the yardage it calls for in the chart and leave it at that. Really looking forward to sewing it up!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hope I’m not too late here…

I’ve made the vest a few times, and up to and including size 5 (from memory) you can cut the vest from a piece of 44inch fabric folded that is the length of the vest length. Beyond that size the vest becomes too wide and you’d need to double the amount or rotate it 90deg and buy as much fabric as the WIDTH of the vest pattern piece. I hope that makes sense.

You need quite a bit of fabric for the vest if you’re going to create your own double sided quilted fabric to cut the vest from.

For those sizes I mentioned I’ve made it from1 metre cuts.

I’ve used 1.5metres of lining fabric and that’s allowed me to make the bias binding for the vest from the lining fabric. It kind of ties the vest and jacket together.

This blog post may help you visualise what I mean:

http://bartacksandsingletrack.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/a-pattern-to-make-product-to-be-proud-of.html?m=0

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, thank you for chiming in!

LINK
    mc868 @mc868

Thanks, Lightning McStitch! Your blog post was very helpful. I had actually seen that a few months ago when I first thought about making this coat, but had forgotten about it until now. I see you used a different color fabric for the vest and then trimmed it with the coat’s lining fabric – I like it! I may give that a shot. I’ll follow your directions to determine how much fabric to get for the vest. Thank you!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I made the quilted lining (sleeves too) with just polyester batting. Even with a cotton coat, the combined garment was very warm. My daughter is cozy in near freezing temperatures, and she is usually quite sensitive.

Remember that the side of the liner that faces the jacket will not be seen. You can use fabric from your stash. We won’t tell.

LINK
    It's me Sophie @Itsmesophie

This question is great timing! I just bought the pattern to make a 12-18 months jacket. I’ve also bought 1/2m of boiled wool from Crafty Mamas. It’s 130cm wide so am hoping ill be able to fit it in. Has anyone made that size and can give me feedback?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Sophie, I can’t guarantee it as it is a few years since I made it but I think you should be fine!

I made it from a recycled suede jacket (a ladies small size).

We loved that jacket.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.