Oliver + S

which dress for an October birthday?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I am obsessing about birthday dresses, I know, but my last baby, my only girl is turning 1 in a few short months. So of course I want the perfect birthday dress. But October is unpredictable – it might still be quite warm out or it might be a little chilly. The party will be at an outside venue. I love the birthday party dress with a ribbon tie, but it would most likely need a little sweater on top. Even a short sleeved dress would need a sweater – but does a sweater cover up too much of the dress? Would I be better off with a long sleeved dress? Long sleeved patterns don’t seem to look like party dresses, though, do they?

So I would love to hear your thoughts – which dress do you think is most appropriate for a not-quite-walking baby at the end of October? TIA!

LINK
    daisygirl78 @daisygirl78

If you’re not crazy about making long sleeves, could you do a short-sleeved or no-sleeve dress of your choice, and make it with a little bit of ease so that you can put a long-sleeved onesie underneath if it’s chilly that day? Having said that, I don’t mind a fancy little cardigan, it can look really sweet over a nice dress.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I love the Playdate dress, and I think you have the pattern. It’s great with some leggings/tights if you need them, but the sleeves are short enough that they’re out of the way if it’s hot. (Or you can even lengthen them to be long sleeved.) My daughter will be wearing her two from last year as tunics this year.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I’m considering the Bubble Dress for friend’s daughter’s 1st birthday gift (also Oct baby), and I’ve planned to buy a slightly dressy cardigan to go with it. I’ve seen these in the Flickr group paired with tights and cardigans and have thought they were sweet. But I like the Playdate too and think it would look very nice dressed up.

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I have done the bubble dress and tea party dresses for winter wear. We just put shirts underneath them and I think that they still look cute. Then the dress isn’t hidden by a sweater.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the input! I’ve been thinking of the Playdate dress. It would look nice with tights if it seems cool that day. I like how dressed up the playdate one looks. The bday party dress would probably look fine with a little cardigan. It sort of depends on whether I can find a cardi to match the fabric. I’m thinking of the new line from Sarah Jane Studios: http://www.sarahjanestudios.com/blog/2011/05/09/introducing-children-at-play/ and making some decorations for the party to match.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh that would be so perfect! I can’t wait for that range to become available. The fabric and Playdate dress will be absolutely perfect!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh I’m so glad you think so! I would use either the white or hot pink floral for the dress with a white bib and perhaps some lace instead of ruffles? And maybe her hair will be long enough for ribbons.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Do you mean the light pink with white flowers print? That would look just the thing for a first birthday. But it all depends on if you want her to look pastel girly or bright girly.

For the hair, will she keep a headband on? You could make a stretchy one and maybe add some fabric bows and buttons to match. Or …. if her hair hasn’t really grown enough for ribbons, you could wing it by doing ribbons on a hair clip and doing it this way. Or… just tie a ribbon round her head and do it up.

I was looking at the artwork on the fabric and noticed the girls are drawn wearing headbands and ribbons in their hair so it would go if you did something like that to make her look the “real” specimen from the range so to speak.

It’s going to be such a gorgeous set up. Can’t wait to see pictures.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh, I’ll look at the artwork again. I didn’t notic their hair. My baby girl is practically Rapunzel and I’ve been having silly amounts of fun with barrettes, so I’m sure she’ll be able to wear something in it. I mean the white ground with multi colored flowers or the hot pink with multi colored flowers. I’m looking at the meadow colorway. I was drawn to the balloon print for decorations.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Meleliza if you are getting her used to having “pretties” in her hair that will mean there’s less of a chance she will fiddle and pull them out on her birthday.

Well I would personally go for the white background because if you were using white for the top of the dress then it would match and it would also leave more scope for embellishment.

You could go wild! Do you embroider at all? I’m visualising lace (as you said) but also little embroidered flowers (bullions, lazy daisies etc). This dress! Gosh my mind is going crazy and it isn’t my daughter’s birthday lol!(well she has an October birthday too but she’ll be 9 instead of grand age of 1.)

It’s going to be spectacular! I didn’t have a party as such when my daughter turned one – just a cuppa after church. But I did make her a beautiful outfit – smocked square yoke sleeveless dress in pink and white with a matching jacket that had bullion daisies all over it – she looked a picture! And because I made it larger, she could wear it all summer which was even better since she started walking.

The colour scheme you’ve chosen is fantastic and I think it is going to pull together very well.

Oh little marshmallow “teacup” biscuits!!! Something special and perfect for little girls on their first birthday.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

All summer? Oh, right you’re down in Australia. That smocking sounds lovely, but heirloom sewing is not in my repertoire. Thanks for all your ideas! I will be sure to post pictures. This is my last baby and only girl, so I really wanted a big special party.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.