Oliver + S

What type of fabric will not stick to tights or leggings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I want to make a skirt for my 2 year old granddaughter for fall and winter. Which type of fabric will not stick to tights or leggings? I am in New Hampshire so we do have a cold winter. Does corduroy stick?

LINK
    Emily @Emily

I’ve found that because the skirt tends to puff out a bit, sticking tends not to be an issue like it would be with a closer-fitting skirt. You could also line the skirt with slippery fabric and then it wouldn’t be a problem at all.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Corduroy will stick, based on my limited experience. Even some cottons will stick. Silk, not so much (depending on the type), and polyester won’t stick either. The trouble I have is that fabrics that don’t stick are hard to sew.

LINK
    nightknitter @nightknitter

kmac0107, I live in New England as well, so my daughter, who refuses to wear pants, lives in leggings and tights during the cold weather. I agree with Emily in that the skirt patterns are not form fitting and tend to extend from the body. I haven’t run into any problems having cotton or corduroy skirts or dresses sticking to my daughters tights or leggings.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m making the 2+2 skirt for S right now using wool suiting. I’m lining it with a slippery rayon-type fabric because I’m concerned about itch and wanted the fabric to have a little more body (by which I mean that I want it to stand away from the body a bit more than it would with just the thin wool). I basted the lining to the wrong side of the skirt pieces and am treating them as one layer. This is usually called an underlining. But if you decide to do this, take care that your fabrics aren’t too bulky or heavy or the skirt could weigh a lot. With all the fullness of the pleats, the two layers of fabric can really add up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.