Oliver + S

What do you think of a separate sash instead of the attached tie sash?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

As I sat here hand stitching the lining to the back opening, I realized that’s probably why one section hangs low – it’s not fully attached yet (duh!) I’m too tired to hand stitch tonight (I hate sewing by hand) so I’ll finish it up tomorrow and I’ll bet the lining is correct (here’s hoping!) If not, I shall turn up the hem again! haha. I have it hanging up right now with the sash tied around it and it’s going to be so stinking cute! I’m really pleased with this pattern. I can’t believe I waited so long to try it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You can finish the entire thing by machine if you prefer. When I do an invisible zipper, I also attach the lining by machine. I think I always hem the lining by machine and if it’s a casual dress, I machine stitch the hem, but that will definitely make it casual.

LINK

Too late. I spent the morning hand stitching. That’s okay πŸ˜‰

I machine hemmed the dress but used the blind stitch.

One more question, I promise…then I’ll be ready to take some pics. I did the separate sash. Should I topstitch the 2 side sections of the sash so that it will handle machine washing better? I understand the front/center portion shouldn’t be topstitched so it will lay properly. I know it’s just me being a little ocd but I’m so used to topstitching everything and pretty much nothing needed topstitching in this pattern so I’m itching to topstitch the sash…lol!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I have never topstitched a sash, but I guess you could. I think it’s really just a matter of the look you’re going for. I do think you should treat it the same all the way around. Also bear in mind that machine stitching adds stiffness. The more rows of machine stitching you have, the stiffer the fabric may be, which may or may not be what you want.

LINK

Okay, I guess I’ll skip it b/c I don’t want to add stiffness to the front of it because then it won’t *scrunch* so nicely as it should. πŸ™‚ Uploading a photo in just a few minutes!

LINK

I’m already not fond of the sash fabric (kona cotton) – it’s too bulky. But the dress needs the sash to disguise the choppiness of the busy fabric. I’ll probably just knot it rather than do a bow when she wears it. It’s cute none the less!

DSC_0585

DSC_0587

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49792291@N05/13652329874/in/pool-oliverands

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I can relate to wanting to top stitch everything! When I made a formal sketchbook shirt I really struggled to avoid top stitching evry seam πŸ™‚

LINK

So excited. I tried it on my daughter and it fits nicely with room to spare. She absolutely loves it and is refusing to take it off. She twirled around in it all night. Now that I know I can do it, I’m already thinking about what fabric to use to make another. Here are two action shots:

DSC_0621

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49792291@N05/13680309255/in/pool-oliverands

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It’s really super adorable! For the next time, here’s a great article on linings. http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4971/a-shortcut-to-great-linings If you scroll down to sleeveless dresses, you’ll find a life changing method of construction.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Your daughter looks so happy!

Thanks for sharing those tips, Threads magazine is so useful.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.