Oliver + S

what can I make for myself with a yard of 60" velvet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

is there a pattern you like for a top that uses only a yard of 60″ woven? I bought some royal purple velvet for a great price with no pattern in mind… my problem is that I’m a size 14-16 depending on the style, I guess I don’t sew enough for myself to realize I need more fabric!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Honestly, I’d make a skirt with it rather than a top, and 1 yd is heaps for a skirt. The Everyday skirt would look great, and I have used velvet to make several MIP A+ skirts. (I love wearing them – but have to stop myself stroking the fabric in public!)

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

i am a wuss, it’s 20 degrees here and still too cold for a skirt…
    🙁

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

You could make a tunic version of the cinema dress and make the front and back yokes out of a different fabric.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

A sexy date night pencil skirt. That is unfortunately probably about it.

I had a meter of Irish tweed my grandmother brought back from Ireland some 50 years ago. I just barely cut a simple skirt out of it – and that was after I saved the fabric for when I lost all the baby weight. It was a size 10 Colette skirt from the sewing handbook without the scallops.

Or maybe it would make a great infinity scarf? Or an evening bag?

I have lots of 1 yard cuts of things I bought when baby was still a baby and now they’re all useless. Time to de stash.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We have a skirt pattern coming out for Liesl and Co this spring that takes just a yard of fabric. It would be really cute in velvet, actually, if you can stand to wait until it’s finally released! It will be probably two months yet…

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Yes…I have a velveteen/voile infinity scarf that I adore!

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I made a t-shirt-like boatneck top with 3/4 sleeves, no closures or facings to conserve fabric… it was a situation where I wanted something to wear out to dinner the next night with some high school friends. It’s still very cold here in NY and the LES builds up some fierce tunnel winds! Velvet top and wool flannel pants let me enjoy fried chicken and champagne. 😀
    Liesl that sounds promising, especially for spring! I might have to get more velvet in another color 😀 … this is their online link but they are based in the city. http://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/micro-velevet-fabric

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Reeni.
    LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That sounds very pretty, Reeni.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.