Oliver + S

What are you sewing now?

Viewing 15 posts - 5,641 through 5,655 (of 6,027 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I should think it would be a great way to use the bits up. Especially for little bottoms. I have heaps of scraps so the undies idea could be a way…. Christmas stocking stuffers😜.

I am almost done with the Garden party dress. This is the second one I’ve made and the instructions were so straight forward I’ve hardly needed them this time around.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

@sarvi Yes, they take very little fabric. I had a couple of “diaper cuts” (slightly larger than fat quarters) of girly knit fabric lying around from when I was sewing cloth diapers for my girls years ago and I got two larger pairs out of one cut, and four of the smaller size out of the second cut!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am attempting to write this message as the baby is woofing down her zucchini slice and ripping off her bib in one synchronised movement (almost). Has anyone had any luck with keep the messy kid bib on a child of ten months? She seems to think it is not required yet gets a rash from the moisture that comes with eating.

I have finished the city weekend Garden party dress. It even got a tag! I’ve been forgetting the last few projects to add them.

Now we need matching bloomers and a dribble bib and we are all set (literally).

My parcel of man shirt fabric turned up today. And as is typical, dh skipped out the door without letting me measure him for size! So I will have to go by the rtw and down it a notch – he wears his shirts far too big thinking they will make him look smaller but they just look ridiculous! I chose the true colors making waves print in navy (http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/tula_pink/true_colors/making_waves_in_navy) and Murray really liked it online but when I opened the package he wasn’t too sure saying it might be a bit too feminine – moan😱. I’m making it regardless and he will wear it because he will change his mind.

LINK
    Ock Du Spock @Ock Du Spock

@justsewit @roundtheworldgirl Thanks ladies for your sweet words 😀 yes the new skirts are stretchy waisted maternity skirts! Not sure if it’s going to be a boy or girl yet (most likely a boy!)… I’m about halfway through the pregnancy… and definitely needing some stretchy waists at this point! Masha, not sure about the nappies… the elastic may need some replacing… 4 babies is a lot to use things! Are yours holding up?

now, I really must add the layette pattern to my stash sometime soon! still not feeling all that great, so sewing is slow going… but hope to get some things made in the next few months!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@ock-du-spock the layette pattern is fabulous! My daughter practically lived in the bodysuits when she was tiny – being a summer babe and all.

I am currently drafting off a McCall’s shirt pattern for Murray’s shirt. His chest measurement didn’t go near the Jalie sizes.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Cutting the first of 6 messenger bags I’m making for Christmas presents!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi everybody, I’ve been sewing quite a few things – chiefly, the Class Picnic blouses I cut out while dog-sitting. I have attached pictures of my recent ‘triumphs’ because I cannot load them to Flickr for love nor money. I hope you will take the time to inspect. The stripey outfit is a size 3 Marimeko top/leggings that I couldn’t resist because it soooo ‘went’ with the Denyse Schmidt fabric from which I made Miss I’s After School top, and badminton (modified) skirt.

So far so good in terms of fit, and acceptability for the outfits sent to Melbourne but I was sad to note that the After School pants (size 2) were an extremely firm fit on a nappied behind. I’m afraid that my first Class Picnic shorts will be the same. I’m hopeful that toilet training will see them worn in a few months’ time.

I’ve finished a pair of size 4 lunchbox culottes in Cloud 9 “Its a Plus”, and they look great. I really love that pattern; so chic. I’m using the same fabric to make some Sketchbook shorts (size 3) to be worn with some size 2 Class Picnic Blouses (a great fit) as a substitute for the AS pants.

Too many more projects to list here but I’ll just mention that I was thrilled to be able to put together some fabrics for a couple of Swing Skirts for Miss 8 – so nice when there is just the right amount of fabric, and some pretty combos.
    Sorry ladies, I’m a bit tired; hope all of the above makes sense.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Some further and better particulars about the attached pictures: Class picnic blouse, size 8, and a modified Hopscotch Skirt, also size 8. Fabric is ‘Geek Chic’ c/o Riley Blake, and aqua pinwale corduroy. I eliminated the front button panel and cut the skirt front on the fold. Very proud of my first ‘takeaway’ pockets. Miss J’s grandmother had to explain what ‘vinyl records’ were -lol! Next-size 4 Swing Skirt made from ‘Urban Sew’s’ pink/white linen stripe bound with Reprodot fabric – just enough fabric because the hound I was minding chewed some significant holes at both ends of folded fabric.

After School Top, and modified Badminton skirt (both size 2) for Miss I, and striped orange/black stretch top/leggings I HAD to buy (well, they were on sale, thank goodness). These are for darling child of a lovely young woman that I used to ‘nanny’ when she was same age as her daughter is now. oh dear, time flies. Luckily, B and I share tastes, and she loves what I make for her kids – such a joy! Here is Miss I, in skirt, top, leggings and gold Peppa Pig gumboots – aged 2 and 3/4, holding one of my ‘objet d’art’. The next few years are going to be super-fun making clothes for her – mummy is very adventurous re. styles/fabrics.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Nothing like a mom who likes fun, colorful clothes to inspire you, eh?

I’ve finished off the first of five bear carriers, the other still need buttons and velcro. So tempted to take a break and make a new dress, to add to the closet full of pretty dresses that are worn once a week, at most. Sensible is sensible, but it isn’t much fun.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

You are marvellous Fiona! All these things for the children are just lovely. I had to pop onto the forum just to see thumbnails because we are currently experiencing a lag in internet speed, so the emailed pictures you sent haven’t loaded enough.

All of them are wonderful! Lucky kids and parents I say!

I haven’t sewn alot this week. I have been nursing one of thise “change of season” lurgys. But time is marching on and I have to get sewing too! It will be too hot by the end of the week to go into the sewing room without air conditioning and tinted windows😕 (Thank goodness I have both)

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Great clothes Fiona!

my sewing has just taken a turn I didn’t think it would for another year or so. My girls decided they wanted American Girl dolls for Christmas. This weekend I tried my hand at making some party dresses for them. I found a jumper pattern online that used to be sold by the company. It is very similar to the O+S Music Box pattern, which I have hacked a million times to make fancy dresses, so I made some of my same modifications to the doll pattern with good success. My first attempt (which was horrible) was made from a cheap poly satin that was a nightmare to sew. After that I found some silk dupioni scraps, which were much easier. Now the dolls will have fancier dresses than their owners 😉

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@roundtheworldgirl It is so great that you get to do this so soon. My eldest was not a dolly girl and I am hoping very much that the baby will be. I learned to sew by making clothes for my dolls so I am looking forward to.

I have finished the main sewing of Noah’s shirt. I used the Jalie men’s shirt pattern for this and some cloud 9 fabric that is available from Spotlight. Poor Murray thought it was for him. So it looks like I will be buying some more of the print and sneaking him one for Christmas.

I now have to get a pair of shorts to fit the boy and then make two of the same. After that it is my turn.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, a big yes to doll clothes! My daughter hasn’t been hugely interested in her doll, but her grandma is taking her out for the full American Girl experience so she’s getting more excited. I’ve been saving the larger scraps from her clothes so I can make coordinating ones for her doll. Might be a good way to extend my shelf life as the in house seamstress?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am currently having a crisis of confidence. I am putting together the Bistro dress pattern with a view of making it for my 13 year old.

Do you think this dress would be too much for a school interview? She’s got her interview the Principal of her new school next week and we want to “look the part” without trying too hard.

I want to make it in pink linen and she has ballet flats to wear with it (I’m just hoping the pink colour of the shoes and the pink of linen with compliment each other)

She loves the style but I am wondering if it would be too formal for such an event.

Any thoughts please??

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Tamara.
    LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Tamara, I think the dress will be lovely. I suspect the pink and the linen will dress down nicely to the school interview. If the dress was black or satin then it maybe to dressy. But a beautiful dress that fits her and that she feels fantastic in should also give her the confidence she needs for the interview.
    It also sounds like it will also be a workhorse of a dress for the Christmas/end of school/summer. Linen will be the perfect fabric for casual and semi dressed up super hot day events.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,641 through 5,655 (of 6,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.