Oliver + S

Wedding Wardrobe Help?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Thanks for all the opinions everyone. I didn’t mean to start controversy! I personally enjoy all the strong opinions here in the forum. The reason I posted is because a light dress covered in a down puffer or my husbands coat is exactly the look I want to avoid. I also don’t want to look out of season for the time of year. You all have given me lots of options to consider. That said, I have nothing to prove in terms of my ability to tolerate the weather or be cold. We will be leaving our home in the mid 80s that time of year. So, it is a big temperature drop for us coming from a subtropical climate. I’ve spend time in the area before at various times of year and have always needed a down puffer to be cozy.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Perhaps you need an awesome trench coat in a fresh spring-like colour and put any old thing underneath cause you won’t be taking it off. With a fullish skirt (like the Secret Agent view B) a trench is sort of a dress anyway.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

ooooo, that’s an interesting idea!

LINK
    jay_1965vw @jay_1965vw

I like that idea too! The only problem would be if it DOES get too warm indoors 🙂

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

OOH this is funny! OMG 50F, and we would be wearing shorts, but that is what happens when you literally have the coldest February on record. The other day we broke 32 for the first time in more than 30 days. Kids outside without hats and gloves like it was a party!

As for the dressing… 50-60F may be cool to mcholley1, but there can be a balance. A wrap dress is a lovely idea, with perhaps 3/4 sleeves? Perhaps you can find a light wool jersey in a spring like print. A silk would be warm enough, dressy enough, but not too heavy.

Pashmina type thing will help if you are too cool, or a shrug, or bolero. But if it is indoors, the heat will certainly be on and there will be a mass of body heat.

Tights and booties may weigh it down. Regular hose may give you all the leg warmth you need. Booties themselves won’t provide you any extra warmth, will they? I mean we are talking basic leather booties which are no more protective and warm than a pair of close toed shoes? Right? Or am I thinking about a different kind of bootie?

The culottes in a silk twill might be a great ticket! It would give you full leg warmth/coverage. Silk twill is elegant and can be done in a spring color, yet give you the warmth you need. Plus they have the advantage of looking like a skirt. Perhaps a fitted 3/4 length sleeve blouse that you tuck in the in the same material and use a sash or something so it looks like a dress?? Again, a shrug or bolero over a cardi. Cardi, (which I wear all the time) says grandma is cold! It doesn’t say… I am a smashingly elegant woman. And clearly if a woman is on this forum, whether she dresses the part or not, is a smashingly elegant woman! 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m a fan of the maxi skirt with button down blouse. Seriously elegant.

We went out without hats and gloves yesterday. I didn’t even zip up the down puffer. It was raining and in the 40s and it felt like spring!

Of course I’ve also observed ladies in Atlanta wearing full length fur coats in 50 degree weather. So funny.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

50 degrees is what get at night in winter but never ever during the day – we are too far north for such temps. It sounds as though there are plenty of ideas. Hope you find the perfect solution.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

M-C, ultimately you are the one who has to be comfortable, and you are the one who knows your friends and what will make you look like part of the group vs what will make people gasp and clutch their pearls. I’ve been to weddings where I felt underdressed in an embroidered silk Oscar de la Renta two-piece and to weddings where I felt overdressed for wearing shoes (at all).

But, to re-start the controversy, now I am the one who needs suggestions. I’m going to a wedding in Saratoga Springs (3 hrs from NYC by train, says the internet) at the very end of May. My current plan is to bring two white shirts, a pair of jeans, a pair of sandals, and a pair of black heels, then shop my brains out when I get to NY. I am willing to consider other options, have at it!

Oh, and it’s in a park and I don’t know yet whether that involves walking on grass. If it does, I’m not wearing my precious suede-heeled Manolos and I don’t care who has a heart attack over it. I’m wearing wedges or something. I’m at a place in my life where the opinion of strangers (the only person I know in this wedding is the bride, she wouldn’t care if I wore a plastic bag) has come to mean significantly less to me than preserving my favorite pair of shoes. Honestly, if you saw the shoes, you’d understand.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I have no idea on the clothes front i’m afraid, but in terms of your shoe decision I understand. I. Under. Stand.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Haha, I’m glad somebody gets my shoe obsession! These were my first pair of ‘good’ shoes, I got them 75% off at the post New Year’s Sale at Neiman Marcus and they still cost what felt like an arm and a leg. I still wear them, though! Got my money’s worth in the long run.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Of course you wouldn’t wear those shoes in the grass or mud! Who would expect you to?

Did you decide what to wear? I have the Irish wedding at the end of June and while the flower girls dress is all planned out, I have absolutely no idea what I want to wear! Any thoughts would be appreciated. comfort is not my #1 priority. I want something elegant but not showy. I’m probably going to be in a lot of the pictures. I need something pretty enough to inspire me to loose the Christmas (yes Christmas) pounds I put on and never lost. And since next year we both turn 40 and it’s our 15th wedding anniversary, I’ll have occasion to wear a nice dress again.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Is it important to you to make what you wear? Or are you open to buying something?

My plans have changed a bit as I realize now that I will be taking a train from Penn Station earlyish in the morning, arriving back there lateish in the evening, and won’t have a chance to change in between. Luckily, this friend is as unfussy as they come and I think that so long as I don’t get drunk and tell loud stories, she won’t much mind what I wear.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

That is a long train ride for dressy clothes for sure. We will have to drive from our hotel with all our luggage, as everyone is expected to spend the night at the wedding hotel. Irish weddings last all night long! It’s only a 20min drive, though, I think.

No, I don’t feel like I have to make it. And I’m open to things already in my closet with new shoes and jewelry or something. However, I don’t fit into off the rack all that easily. Shopping might very well take even lonager than sewing, particularly if I use a TNT pattern. In my stash is some being/champagne colored lace and lace is everywhere just now. But in my closet is a lovely watercolor floral dress that fits like a glove. (Or will when I drop the last holiday pounds) however, I feel like it’s a tiny bit dated. I made it 3 or 4 years ago and I think that watercolor look was brief.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Meleliza, did you make the lovely lace overlay bistro dress last year? I seem to remember one that matched your daughters dress?
    Bistro dress in pink silk with lace overlay
    This is the one I’m thinking of. Espically as your daughter will have her own beautiful flower girl dress to wear so it won’t be matchy.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, that’s me. But, I wore that to the bridal shower. I do have this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24264063@N05/8590474519/in/dateposted-public/ but it feels slightly dated to me in person. I’m tempted to make the same pattern in lace. Maybe add cap sleeves.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.