Oliver + S

Using ribbon for the tube

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have two Fairy tale dresses in a size 12 cut out and ready to sew, one is an Amy Butler print and the other is a lovely (I can’t wait for this) blue with Eiffel Tower print in black and white. For this particular dress, I was thinking of incorporating some gingham ribbon into it somehow and am pondering on whether or not I could do the tube (for view B) in this.

Of course it isn’t bias cut but would I have puckering issues or anything using it? Would love to know your thoughts.

Tamara

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’d be concerned about using a ribbon for the tube, but what about using it as a tie? You could make little crocheted belt loops at the side seam (use the tutorial for the button loop for this) and simply feed the ribbon through the loops to tie in the back or the front. Could be cute!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Thanks Liesl. I shall consider your suggestion when I come to the point of deciding what to do. I haven’t started sewing this yet and may ditch the ribbon in favour for some that is narrower, if I can locate some. I don’t think a concrete decision will be made until the dress is almost done I think – can’t wait!

Thanks again.

Tamara

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I thought about attaching some ribbon to the olive in lieu of the trim. I wouldn’t make a tube out of the ribbon, just top stitch it on and add the bow.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes that is a thought that I had also but just wanted to throw the question out there. It is interesting to see the views of other people. And doing the ribbon in a tube would probably cause it to bubble and pucker. I was inititially thinking of attaching it as it and adding a rose made with the excess, just for something different and maybe do the tube and bow for the Amy Butler dress (as we have nicknamed it). They would both look superb with this though and I saw a sleeveless dress in a very similar style to the Fairy tale in a children’s clothing website with a pleated band and fabric rose. Basically where I gained the idea.

I have sew the jolly things first. Part of the perks of taking the :sewing sisters” on holiday – I’m hoping to get some seams done today.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.