Oliver + S

Using fat quarters for trim

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Another very basic beginner question from me! Sorry!

I am starting to stockpile projects as I haven’t got time to sew at the moment as we have all had horrible chest infections . . . very frustrating. Especially since I have a lovely new Janome sewing machine sitting waiting for me to get creating! Oh, how I love it!

I’d like to ask if I’ll be able to use fat quarters when I’m sewing or whether they are just for quilting? (sorry – I know it’s a bit of a silly question)

I’d like to get something nice for the trim on the sandbox pants. Or I’m wondering about using something a bit more ordinary and whether I could use the same baby cord on the waist band?

Hope you are all well!

Thanks! Robyn

p.s. there was a lady who emailed me (Sorry – I’ve forgotten your name) through my website and I wasn’t able to reply as I had some technical issue! Just wanted to say thanks!

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

You can definitely use fat quarters, just remember that like any cottons they vary in weight, weave, color fastness. also on some fat quarters it is easier to find the selvage edge than on others–which is necessary when cutting trim on the true bias (essential for curved necklines, etc.)–otherwise you have to pull a thread length wise and crosswise to be sure of the grain.

I have used cording for the waistband of sandbox pants (these are 8 wale cord): http://www.flickr.com/photos/handcrafts_by_heather/3948045804/

Enjoy your new machine! which model do you have?

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Thanks Lizabeth. That’s great. I’ll use the cord for the waistband then if I ever get time to sew. And nap down for crawling babies! I might even consider some knee patches!

My machine is an 8077. I don’t think there are that many around online but my local sewing shop recommended it and so far I love it. My last machine I had to constantly have the manual out and this is so much easier. Yesterday I made a halloween costume in 30 mins WITH my 3 year old sitting next to me. Very proud of myself!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

If nip-and-tuck, I can get the Tea Party Dress top bodice made out of a fat quarter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.