Oliver + S

Using different fabrics for the top and the skirt

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Mary C @Mary C

I have several beautiful coordinating fabrics I would like to use for this dress. I was thinking of having the bodice, shoulder straps and sleeves be of one fabric, a second fabric for the yoke and waistband, and a third fabric for the skirt. I see there is a separate pattern piece for the bodice back but that the front (bodice and skirt) is just one piece. I am wondering if I could lay the bodice back pattern piece on top of the front pattern piece and draw a line on the front pattern piece to which I would add seam allowances and then cut the front pattern piece into two pieces and when I cut out the pattern, have the top portion in one fabric, and the bottom in a second fabric. If I did that, would the waistband match up over the seam where the pieces would join?

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

What I would do is cut the front pattern piece apart between the rows of dots that indicate where the front waistband is to be sewn, just cut it right down the center. Then when cutting out the fabric, be sure to add seam allowances to both sides. This way you will be certain that the front waistband will exactly cover the bodice/skirt seam.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

Or is there only one row of dots on the front? I can’t remember. If there is then you would cut it apart right on the row.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi
    LINK
    Mary C @Mary C

Thanks so much!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.