Oliver + S

Time to sew?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    madebymum @madebymum

Hi I am interested in how much everyone sews. Do you sew everyday or maybe at the weekend. I try to sew most days. Also how long does it take you take to complete a level 1, 2, 3 and 4 pattern from Oliver + s? .

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I sew in the evenings mostly. As far as time to complete a pattern? Well, I’m very slow when it comes to cutting out. For example, I cut out the new Sketchbook shirt and shorts and it took me a few hours…. cutting the pattern, marking and notching, and that doesn’t count the 2-3 hours it took me just to cut the pattern pieces and then retrace the size I needed onto pattern-ease. Being picky on the cutting side allows for smoother sewing time – maybe faster, too. The cutting part is like my mountain I have to climb first. haha!

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

I sew in the evenings or when my child is napping, on most days. In between projects, I might not sew for a couple months. I’ve only sewn the tea party and ice cream dresses, and they each took me about 6 hours actual sewing time. I spend a couple hours tracing the pattern and cutting it out, too. I’m sewing two identical ice cream dresses now, and it will probably take me about 6 hours too, since it’s not the first time. I’d like to hear tips about how people find more time to sew.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Time is so precious! I find time after my daughter has gone to bed at night, on a good week a few times a week. For that reason I like simple projects that don’t take a long time. I don’t want to start a project that may take me weeks and weeks! I think as far as how long it takes to sew a project, it really depends on the project. The two free patterns, the Lazy Days skirt and Popover Dress, are pretty fast. I can make a Lazy Days skirt in less than a half hour, start to finish. I made a Popover Dress, including cutting time and taking pictures as I went, in an hour and half. I just cut out the pieces for the Bedtime Story Pajamas last night. My guess is that the pants will probably take an hour or so after the pieces are cut out. And after doing it once, my guess is that the second time around won’t take as long. I think the top will take me longer but hard to say.

I’m definitely a level 1 sewer. I’m improving but I would say I am an “advanced beginner” – so others with more experience might take less time.

I joined the ASG and have been attending a monthly neighborhood group’s meetings. Going to the meetings gets me excited about sewing, and makes me look forward to bringing something I’ve made to show and tell. I think that is what is inspiring me to find more time to sew these days.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I usually trace and/or cut out on one day and then sew the next day. I sew in the afternoons when the kids are in naps and keep working until I have to stop to cook dinner. I usually get about 3 hrs in then. Sometimes I go back and finish after dinner. I usually can finish sewing one Oliver + S piece in a day so I guess between 3-6 hours (not including tracing/cutting) depending on what I’m making. Ever since I discovered O+S patterns about a month ago, I’ve been really into sewing and dinners and house cleaning have been pretty lacking around here! LOL

LINK
    madebymum @madebymum

Thanks for all your responses I am always interested in how other people manage to squeeze some sewing time in. I would love to be able to sew for long periods my concentration is better when I am not rushed or interrupted, but that doesn’t happen too often so I try to fit in an hour or 2 most days. I never seem to sew everything I want though. I noticed on some of the more difficult patterns that time commitment was considered when deciding on level and that is why I was asking about how long each design had taken you, always wise to know these things before you start. Thanks.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I actually timed myself making the Sailboat Pants (which is a 2 scissor pattern) on Sunday. I had traced and cut out the paper pieces, and I had washed, dried and pressed my fabric.

So I timed from when I started pinning pattern pieces to fabric until I had finished the hem and sewn in the buttons, and it took 2,5 hours in total.

This was spread out over an entire day, mind you. My family left in the morning to go to swim class and were gone for 1.5 hours during which I got the bulk of the sewing done.

The rest had to wait until the kids were in bed.

I work (almost) full time outside the home so I can’t squeeze in a few minutes here and there during the day other than on weekends. So I sew mostly in the evenings after bedtime.

Not ideal – but then I don’t like sitting down for mere minutes at a time – I lose my “Zen”. I prefer if I can get good chunks of time during which to get things done properly.

LINK
    madebymum @madebymum

Gosh that is good going lattemama. The sailboat pants are on my to do list but I thought they were a 1 scissor maybe I should put them off for a while.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I don’t have a lot of sewing experience, having started to sew for real just a year ago. But I thought the Sailboat pants were fairly easy to put together. I hope I haven’t scared you off it, madebymum. Don’t fear the scissors 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.