Oliver + S

Terrace Dress sleeve hem

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Sabrina B. @sbmeist

    Hello! On my first Terrace Dress I found it difficult to sew the hem on the sleeves (View A). When I turned the hem under, it wouldn’t meet the fabric of the sleeve near the side seam. When I stitched the hem, I was unable to stitch it down at the side seam.

    I’ve cut a second dress and am wondering if I should try a different strategy. Any ideas? A bias strip?

    Thanks!

    LINK
    Jennifer @jcolman

    I had the exact same problem. I ended up aggressively clipping into the seam allowance to get it lie smoother, but still never could get it stitched flat at the underarm. There’s about 1/2″ at each underarm/side seam that I simply didn’t sew down. I’m hoping it holds up in the wash. Would love to know if there’s a fix.

    LINK
    Sabrina B. @sbmeist

    I’m glad to hear it wasn’t just me!

    In my second version, I did use a bias strip to finish the sleeve hem and it worked much better. I first trimmed the sleeve so that the hemming would match the 1/4″ seam allowance for the bias binding (instead of the 5/8″ hem the pattern is designed for). Then I used a bias strip and followed the instructions for the neckline.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2018. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.