Oliver + S

teaching the kids

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I know a lot of you sewists have children and grandchildren. Have you taught them to sew? I am starting to teach my 6 year-old. I’m looking for ideas for basic projects. Anyone have any good websites for inspiration?

A lot of what I find is geared toward teens or preschoolers.

She has sewn a basic pillow. She can make a running stitch or a whip stitch.

Thanks!

LINK
    JenniferP @JenniferP

How about a Lazy Days skirt? Or a dress-up crown (draw a template, fuse front fabric to felt back, topstitch around front and attach 1/2 in. elastic (about 7 in for kids) to go around head, decorate front of crown (cut circle from felt used for backing and put jewel or initial in it). These have gone over well with my 5 and 7 year olds.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

bean bags and potholders as well as an elastic waist skirt that Jenifer suggested are all first sewing projects. Check out materials for first sewing projects for 4-H. Cloverbuds are the youngest members. 4-H always has good projects for kids who are learning a skill.Your local Cooperative Extension office can be of help in finding materials. You can also join her as an independent member (no club) then she can enter her projects in 4-H fairs as well as your local county fair.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I see an opportunity for Liesl here. LOL.

A book of patterns to teach little ones to sew. So instead of LTTS, she could write a book, Teaching Little Hands to Sew. (TLHTS).

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Sewing School and See and Sew are two books that are good for kids on the younger end– I own the latter, which has very classic projects, and have only looked through the former at the bookstore– it seems to have more contemporary projects.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

My 5 and 7 yr olds have made quite a few of those hair bow elastic thingys that Liesl made a pattern for a little while ago.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Maggie, what dose your 6 year old want to sew? If it’s beyond her maybe it could be a joint project. I’m interested in this as I was thinking of offering to teach my friends 9 year old boy next school hols. But I was definatly planning to ask him what he wants to make and then help him get there.

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Have any of you tried the Kids Can Sew program? I don’t know too much about it, but an instructor at the quilt store where I work swears by it. I might sign Miss A (six years old) up for classes this summer.

We’ve made a few items at home together from the Sewing School book, but she prefers “freestyle” projects. We also own a book called Made by Me by Jane Bull that has many different types of projects (knitting, embroidery, needlepoint). My First Sewing Machine Book by Alison McNicol has some easy projects and beginner exercises. And skiptomylou.org has a series called “Get Kids Sewing” which is a good resource, from what I’ve seen.

LINK
    homefire @homefire

My dd is now 8 and with a few lazy days skirts under her belt (I think her first one was around 5) I bought a pattern from Simplicity that is geared for beginners and children. It goes through all the basics, explains things like selvedge, nap, ect and has two views to pick from. I always encourage her to be creative and do her own thing but I believe it is also so important to be able to read a pattern and do things correctly. We are just starting this pattern and I’m thinking a Popover will be next. If she is still interested after that I will certainly be looking into some of the books mentioned here.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Thanks for all the ideas. I have been thinking of letting her practice with felt. She could make little ornaments or flowers. She could add buttons and a ribbon loop. Good for backpack decoration.

A lazy days skirt would be great. The next thing she wants to make is a doll blanket. Maybe she could try some hand quilting or simple embroidery. I think the colors in embroidery would appeal.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Lots of great ideas in this thread, thanks everyone! I don’t have any to add but this has inspired me to maybe make up some lacing cards for my toddler.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Bump!

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff
    LINK
    G + G @kate_conley

Thanks for the link–looks promising!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.