Oliver + S

Storing machine needles

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I’m getting quite the collection of needles for different types of fabrics/sewing. How do you store them within easy reach, and keep them separated so you know what needle is what?

Keeping them in their respective containers seems a pain for quick changes.

Also any place to buy an assortment for cheap?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

l store them in their original containers in the notions box that came with my machine along with my bobbins extra feet, seam ripper, lint brush. , l like to store them in the original containers because then they are already labeled and I don’t have to think:) l tend to put one on for the current project and sew that until done so I doht have heaps of needle changes. Befoe buying alot of different needles work out what you NEED. l have universals in 60, 70, 80, 90 and only recently added a jeans needle when I had really thick denim. l also have a pack of stretch or ball point needles for knits as well as a twin needle to do faux cover stitch hems.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

It is a pain with machine needles – increasingly it is harder to read the info about what sort/kind they are on the butt end of the needle. And it’s not just my eyesight, either. My personal favourite needle is Sharp 80. Great for patchwork, and dressmaking. Small tins/pin cushions for separate sizes helps to stop them getting into an indeciferable mess.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I store then in their boxes too. I flip over the one I have used so I know it is not new. I try to remember to check before I put it back so the dull ones go in the trash. I haven’t figured out when to discard the stretch needles since they aren’t sharp to begin with.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I just keep them in their cases until I’m ready to use them. This way its easy to see which ones are which. They go in the trash when the project is done. If its a small project and I need a different needle for the next project, I might stick it into my pin cushion to save for another small project. I dont put it bck into the case so i know its a used needle. Also, I tend to keep one or two used needles in the pin cushion for making muslins or kids craft projects.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.