Oliver + S

Some zipper help, please?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi folks, any suggestions for me? I’m installing a zip in a (fairy tale) dress with a white bodice and black skirt. The skirt and skirt lining are both very delicate, sheer silk fabrics. I only have black fusible interfacing. I’m wondering whether I could use wonder tape/fusible web and bit of lightweight black cotton to improvise the interfacing at the zipper edge. I’m also wondering if I could eliminate the center-back seam and instead put in a pleat and cut down the center of it to open the fabric for just the 2 inches or so I need for the zipper.

Any tips or ideas? Thank you!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m a little confused on the colour of interfacing you’re missing 🙂
    I can’t see why the pleat wouldn’t work. I would also check to see how much length she needs to get in and out of the dress. you may be able to only add the zipper to the bodice.
    Also you might want to check this out for ideas for the zip, http://www.ikatbag.com/2014/11/elsa.html

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

D’oh! Good catch, Heidi! I only have *white* interfacing, not black. Oh brother, that was a very confusing question, wasn’t it. THanks so much, I’ll go check out that link!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That makes more sense 🙂
    You won’t see the white interfacing through black fabric, normally. I have used double sides fusible and thin fabric to make my own interfacing.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think my lining layer is more opaque, but the top layer is sheer enough that you could see this rectangle beneath it, but using fusible web and a scrap of thin fabric worked really well. I added a scrap to the bottom of the (white) zipper as well. It’s not perfect — is 1am sewing ever — but nobody’ll notice from the cheap seats 🙂

Thanks, Heidi!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.