Oliver + S

Snap Tape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Where can you get snap tape? I scoured the sewing section at the craft store up the street (for as long as my 6 month old would let me, haha) and I couldn’t find it. Where does everyone else get it?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’m making my own! I got a snap press about 18m ago, it was an investment (and a gift!) but it has been so worth it with the amount I’ve saved on buttons!

I’ve just made my first teaparty playsuit and instead of using snap tape I added cotton twill tape using the directions for the snap tape and I will then add the snaps to the bottom of the suit when I put the snaps on the top instead of buttons. If your going to do a lot of sewing and you’ve got little one youmight find the investment of a proper snap press is worth it.

In my local spotlight the snap tape is in the the rolls of elastic.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I found some near the elastic section of big chain fabric shop. But it wasn’t very useful as it had three evenly placed snaps, then a space, then another three. The spacing didn’t work at all for the playsuit, so I took the plastic snaps off and hand sewed them to some bias binding and used that instead.

I love the snap press I bought, but so far I only have one size of brass press stud. It is fun, and quick and it works, unlike trying to hammer press studs.

LINK
    pippi @pippi

I just made my own snap tape with an interfaced bias strip and hammer in snaps. It’s a little tedious, but if you are just doing it every once in a while it it’s not so bad. It’s fun to make the tape coordinate with your fabric too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59555784@N02/8187097681/in/photostream

If you are really in a bind you can always buy it on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-White-Cotton-Metal-Snaps/dp/B000XZW76M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358249989&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=snaptape

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Thanks everyone!! Sorry I was a little late to reply! I really like the idea of making your own and I think I am going to look into a snap press since my little one is my first and I’m sure I’ll get good use out of it. I do remember seeing one of those in the store. I’m sure the tape was next to it and I just didn’t even see it! Ha! Oh the joys of a child throwing a fit in a store!

Pippi, I love the way the snap tape coordinates!! I can’t wait to finish mine up and put up some pictures!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I tend to do buttonholes and buttons as my babies always burst their poppers.

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Buttons are a good idea too! My daughter is in clothe so her butt is rather large, haha. How would you recommend doing them?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Rather then sewing the crotch seam,I would sew a inch wide strip to each side( 2 1/2 ” strip of fabric interfaced and folded in half) hem as per usual and then do button holes on the front strip and so buttons on the back.

If the buttons are sewn vertically it gives a bit more ease.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Darcy Struble @darcyjane

Thanks!! I’m going to try this!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Then you could color coordinate the buttonholes and buttons, too. I never seemed to miss a snap but grandma often did.

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

With love heidi… What snap press do you have? Do you recommend it? Where do you purchase your snaps? Does it have an issue with fabric thickness at all? I am in the market for something like this. I would love to sub out snaps for buttons on some items. Thanks in advance for your help.

LINK

I’ve got a KAM snap press, DK 98 from Snaps Australia, it’s the brownish coloured one. It is very heavy and sturdy, l have had no trouble with thick fabrics, in fact I’ve replaced Velcro with snaps on my friends diapers by going straight through the Velcro! I have a size 20 die set, these seem to have a very strong grip, my friend has been using her repaired diapers for over a year now! The size 20 snaps can be a little difficult for children to undo, the four and five year old l sew for struggle to undo them, so you may want to get the slightly smaller size 16’s snaps if you want kids to undo them. l also bought the snaps from Snaps Australia as well. The Snap press is moderately expensive, about $40 AUS, but the snaps are very cheap abut $3.60 for 100. Once I had a Snap press I found lots of uses for them, l think I went through over 100 in the first 12 months. l would thoroughly reccomend a Shap press as I have found it very useful, and fast and it has almost replaced buttons for me except on special garments.

http://www.snapsaustralia.com.au/snap_press_machines_s/2.htm

I hope on this makes sense as I am using my new tablet.

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

Thanks so much for the detailed information. I went ahead and bought the same press, but added the 16 die to it.

I took your recommendation, as I have heard from others that the Kam snaps are great. I have an unused music box jumper pattern and I want to use snaps on it. My husband isnt a button fan, so these will work great on the sleepover pjs.. and maybe some sketchbook shirts. I can’t wait.

LINK

Glad the info was useful to you and made sense as it was my first go using handwriting to text function! Enjoy putting snaps in everything! Can’t wait to see your pics in the flicker group.

LINK

Bumped!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.