Oliver + S

sleeves – lining? or bias bound seams?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

One more puppet show question: I’m sewing a dress out of Liberty and have made a full lining is a soft cotton voile. I made the front and back skirt lining by copying the construction of the bodice lining – I sewed it to the dress at the back placket and folded. Now I’m getting ready to set the sleeves. I had planned to simply bind the amyscye seams with bias from the voile, but there are also seams where the sleeve cuffs join. So, would it be simpler and create less bulk to fully line the sleeve as well? Then I could hand stitch the sleeve lining to the cuff to cover those seams? This is a 12month size, so the sleeves are reasonably tiny.

It’s going to be so very lovely, though! I’m excited to finish it. Both boys are supposed to get matching ties and I’ve bought them pink dress shirts. How sweet is that?

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Personally, I like your idea of using the voile to make narrow bias tape to enclose the seam allowances, both at the armscye and the cuff. I love the look of voile sleeves with no lining, when the rest of the bodice is lined. It’s truly a beautiful way to make up a garment. I honestly don’t think you will reduce the bulk by much at all by lining the sleeve, maybe a tiny bit at the cuff, but then you still need to finish your armsceye seam, which if lined, now has an additional layer of fabric. How did you plan to finish the armsceye with the lined sleeve? Were you still going to use the bias strip, tiny french seams (do able but challenging) or were you going to use the lining to cover over the seam?

I guess the other option would be to use a french seam on the cuff/sleeve seam. You will then need to stitch that french seam down, allowing you to take up that extra space between the cuff ends. In fact, that space I would probably roll and hand stitch to get it exactly right. Just some more thoughts……

I look forward to seeing your beautiful creation. I bet your children will look picture perfect!

Enjoy,

Carol

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks for the thoughts. I was going to attach the sleeve lining to the dress lining and the sleeve proper to the dress proper – so it would be like two dresses back to back.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I did this when I made a silk version http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4873991856/in/set-72157625137941181 , the photos are numbered 1,2,3.

Binding the seam worked well.

I like the idea of the two dresses back to back.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

OK, now I better understand what you were thinking. I still like your idea of using the narrow bias strip. 🙂 That’s is a very classic look, one that I favour, but I am sure whatever you decide will look wonderful! 🙂

Carol

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

thanks for your input, ladies. I went with the bias strip to finsh the sleeve cuff and the sleeve. One sleeve took me all morning and a babysitter! I didn’t want to have to set two pairs of tiny sleeves. Tiny sleeves are so very cute, but I won’t miss that part of her babyhood when she gets bigger. I thought I’d give you a peek at how the sleeves turned out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24264063@N05/5622517958/in/photostream

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.