Oliver + S

Sizing/fit for the blouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Hi, all –

I’ve mostly sewn for my toddler son and, as a side effect, my toddler nephew, but I’d really like to make a couple of gifts for my older nieces before seeing them this summer. I’ve loved this blouse pattern since it was released, so this is a nice excuse to sew a pattern I otherwise don’t have a reason to own.

They’re not local, so getting measurements is probably not going to happen, but I do have their sizes. I’ll probably size up for my younger niece, but my older niece is a size 12 or 14, according to my sister. She’s very tall and very skinny. How forgiving is the fit on this blouse? If I make a size 12, could I add a couple of inches, or is that asking for trouble without measurements?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

It’s not a narrow fit, and I think the style of the cut is pretty forgiving. Maybe add a bit to the blouse and a bit to the peplum? I made a 5 for my daughter who’s gotten to be a 6 in height but still a 5 in circumference, and the blouse looks just as nice now, I think.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Thanks! I’ll give that a whirl.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Enbee, much of my sewing is done for kids that I’m not able to measure my myself so I hear what you are saying. I’ve made the Butterfly skirt, and blouse a few times now, and as Sarvi says, the patterns are pretty forgiving – especially if your nieces are slim in build. If you can beg a chest measurement, and a length measurement (from shoulder to hip), you’ll be fine. As the pattern for the blouse is in two parts, it is very easy to add length to the body and/or the peplum without distorting the pattern’s design. I’ve combined this blouse with the Swing Skirt – with good results. Which sleeve are you planning to sew? The cap sleeve or the ruffle/flutter? Not that it matters – both are charming. Probably more info than you need but I found that drafting facings for the front/back necklines made the construction easier – I used the “Playtime” pattern as a guide. I look forward to seeing some pics on Flickr.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Thanks, needlewoman! I’m planning to do the flutter sleeves for my younger niece (she’s 5) and the cap sleeve for my 10-year old niece.

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

Hey, so I *finally* made these! In general, I loved sewing these up – really a pleasurable pattern to sew. I have to say, though, that while I made the thread chains, I ended up cutting them off and just adding a small hook/eye closure at the top of the keyhole. I didn’t care for the look of the thread chain (I’m sure that improves with practice), but more, I knew they’d break.

I ended up adding an inch to my older niece’s size 12 top and half an inch to my younger niece’s size 6. In both cases I split the addition evenly between blouse and peplum. It seemed to work just fine. I mailed them off today, so hopefully the recipients will get one wear before it’s too cold!

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I should have added more length! Apparently my older niece’s blouse *just* fits, length-wise, but both were well-received.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.