Oliver + S

Sizing help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Christi1969 @Christi1969

Hi everyone! I’m new to Oliver + S and need help with sizing. I have several patterns: ice cream dress, birthday party dress, and tea party dress. And, I’m not sure what size to trace off and cut out.

I have two girls ages 18 months and 2 1/2. My 18 month old measures chest: 19″, waist: 18.5″, height: 33″. (I didn’t get a hip measurement–too wiggly). My 2 1/2 year old measures chest: 19″, waist: 18″, and height: 35″. I would put their weight between 28 and 30 lbs. (If it helps, both easily fit in size 4 Pampers/pull-ups)

Using the body measurements listed for the ice cream dress, they are closest to the 6-12 month size. Is that correct? Is that the size I should trace off? That just seems crazy small. And, then I will have to add 6″ to the length. Where should I add the length? Do I need to add it to the yoke, or just the panels?

If I trace off the 6-12 month size, and add the 6″ of extra length, would you slash the panel pattern perpendicular to the grain line about midway on each panel and add 2″ to each one? (This pattern doesn’t have lengthen/shorten lines, so I’m having to dig deep to remember pattern alteration 101)

Or, should I just make the 18-24 month size and not be super concerned with fitting as this is a loose fitting outfit?

Thanks in advance for your advice/tips!

-christi

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I’m not an expert, but I do make almost all of the clothing for my three boys.I go primarily on height and don’t worry about waist and other measurement unless it is as closely fitting pair of pants, etc. I like them to have room to move and grow! I find the oliver + s patterns to be fairly close fitting (compared to ready to wear) so even tho I have very slim children, they don’t look baggy when done. I have heard liesl and others give the advice to make your first run of any new pattern in a not-so-favorite fabric so you can make any tweaks before cutting into your favorites. I would maybe make each girl one item (to get the feel of how it looks and goes together), maybe the simplest pattern in the size correct for their height and then cut into the good stuff! Good luck- Katja

LINK
    claireabel @claireabel

There’s a tutorial on the O+S blog about lengthening and shortening patterns: http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2010/02/lengthening-and-shortening-a-pattern.html

LINK
    Christi1969 @Christi1969

Thanks for the tips.

I’ll probably just break down and trace off both sizes and make a test garment. I was really hoping to avoid having to trace two sets of pattern sizes. And, I really can’t believe my kids are so skinny that the 6-12 month size would actually fit my 2 1/2 year old. But, if that’s what the sizing indicates, I’ll go to the trouble of altering the 6-12 month size for length. But, adding 6 inches just seems like I would totally destroy the lines of the garment.

LINK
    cbesset @cbesset

I’ve just made a blouse and a dress based an the ice cream dress pattern for my daughter who turned two in February. She is 34.5 inches tall and weighs 26 lb. I made them in size 2 and they fitted perfectly (although I may lengthen the blouse by 1 inch next time). She has just enough room to wear them through the summer and into the winter (we live in Texas).

Very easy pattern and she looks super cute with these. I am making another blouse this WE!

Have fun!!!

LINK
    dallison @dallison

where can I find the pattern for the Ice Cream Dress? I saw the dress on Pinterest and fell in in love with it!

Thanks

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Dallison, you can buy it straight from this site

http://oliverands.com/oliver-and-s-patterns/OLV-OS016IC.html

Paper Pattern

http://oliverands.com/oliver-and-s-patterns/OLV-OS016ICD.html

Digital Pattern

If you click on the “shop” link on the top of this page you can get to the whole catalogue 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.