Oliver + S

Size chart?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    icicle @icicle

Hi,
    Is there a chart with imperial measurements for the sizes in the book? My daughter is right at the borderline of size 12 in most O+S and a size chart would help us decide if she would fit into the base garment.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Body measurements are the same as they are for all our patterns since we use a standard sizing method. So check any of your patterns, and the book will be the same.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

Thanks Todd, that helps!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

The body measurement chart for the Building Block Dress pattern is found on page 40 of the book in the lower left corner of the page.

We have also added it to the website’s product page for the book now.

LINK
    Jes @jessica-e

I have been debating about purchasing this book for a while now but am hesitating because I can’t seem to find any information in the forums about adjusting the block pattern for plus size girls. Is this covered at all in the book? I have used a few Oliver and s patterns to sew for my daughter who is 9 in the past, and tried my best to adjust and size up but never with any success. I really appreciate the recent conversation in the blog about body shaming and also the addition of more sizes in the adult patterns. But what about the girls? Mainstream sizes do not fit curvy girls and I would really like to design and sew for her so that she also Can have dresses that fit properly and contribute to a positive self image. Can you let me know if adjusting the sizes to fit larger girls is in this book? I’d really like to know and purchase before the 30% off is over.
    Many thanks.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hi Jes,

I know what you’re saying! All sizes need support. You have the opposite problem that we have at our house, but ironically the fix is similar. On pages 12-13 of the book there is a section on lengthening and shortening a pattern. Where I usually need to lengthen a smaller size, you’ll be shortening a larger size. Also, on pages 9-11 there is a section on making and fitting a muslin, with photos to help you develop a pattern that fits. The advantage of the book is that, once you get the pattern fitting well, you can use it again and again to make lots of different dresses. You can also use other sewing patterns and make changes to them in the same way, using the techniques in the book. So even when your daughter outgrows the pattern in the book, you can still use the book to alter other patterns for her. I’m working on a simple dress pattern for tweens and teens that we plan to release next spring, and if it does well we hope to develop more patterns for tweens in the future. I hope that helps!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I would really recommend that you get the book. Here is why- not only do you learn about techniques, but I feel like you learn why you do what you do. For me, the learning the why is the key. It helps me understand what I am doing and apply it more broadly than just copying another pattern.

My child is a narrow string bean with a long rise and a buddha belly. So I am ALWAYS doing adjustments here and there. And yes, it does take a fair amount of work to work over a pattern. But two things…. 1) the pattern you get just right can be reused until the child grows/changes shape; 2) when the child does grow and change, you will be able to take what you learn and do it again, faster.

OH and a third thing… you don’t need to use the building block dress pattern (and thus be limited to the sizes in the book). I use the techniques on other patterns. For example, I look at an O +S I own but want to change an element…. I just go to the book and look up what I want to change and bam! And you can do this for almost any pattern.

As an aside, though, who wouldn’t love “The Sewist’s Book on Busts”? Can you imagine learning all kinds of darting and seaming techniques for just the bodice portion of an adult/tween/teen pattern?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I would love to write that book and hope to have the chance someday! A Building Block Dress book for women would be amazing, I think.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.