Oliver + S

Size 8 Armscye too small

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I am posting this now, since I will guess that like me, there are several of us wanting to make up this lovely dress as an Easter dress. I received my pattern, night before last, so I am trying to squeeze in time to work on this dress. After ’tissue’ fitting, which is really an interfacing fabric, I realized the armscye (armhole) might be too small. I decided to make up a muslin, blouse length, to see if my suspicions were correct, and unfortunately they are.

My daughter fits perfectly into the size 8 measurements and I re-checked the measurements of the pattern pieces, minus seam allowances and they all appear correct. The armscye though, is not deep enough, causing pulling across the lower front. To solve this problem, I just went back and checked the next size up and used the size 10 amrscye and then adjusted the sleeve to go with this. I did not want to make the neckline a size 10 for fear it might end up being too wide and then falling off her shoulders.

I would suggest anyone making this around that size range to do a muslin, first, to make sure the armscye is going to work well for your daughter.

Has anyone else made up the size 8 dress or blouse?

I hope everyone’s Easter sewing is going well. πŸ™‚

Carol

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

That is food for thought Violaisabelle. I haven’t got this pattern yet but will do very soon. I am imagining I will have to use the size 12 though as I have done for all the other O+S patterns I have recently bought to fit my 8 year old. It looks like a really beautiful pattern – love the classic look.

Thanks for the info.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Carol,

This pattern was tested across our size spectrum and the fit was found to be correct. The pattern has been graded per our standard specs, and I don’t see any issues with the pattern itself. We haven’t received any other reports of issues with this pattern in this size.

It sounds like this is either a sewing process or a fit issue–not a problem with the pattern itself. As always, you are free to make changes to a pattern to fit it appropriately to the wearer.

Justwit, be sure to check the size charts when selecting the proper size. I would suggest paying special attention to the chest measurement, and lengthening or shortening as necessary. You’ll find a tutorial on this topic on the right-hand side of our blog.

LINK

justsewit, does your daughter match up with the measurements listed on the pattern envelope for the size 8 or 12? I am just wondering since I have more to make up for my daughter and wanting to keep this in mind when tracing off the patterns. My daughter does measure almost perfect for the size 8. πŸ™‚

Thank you,

Carol

LINK

Liesl, we were posting at the same time. πŸ™‚ Thank you for responding. My daughter’s chest measurements are exactly as the charts. The fit in the chest is great, with the sleeves off. Once the sleeves are put on, that’s where the issue comes up. My muslin has one sleeve on and one sleeve off.

Deepening the armscye and putting that 1/8″ to the outer edge of the armscey did the trick, and matching the sleeve accordingly.

Thanks again,

Carol

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

So it sounds like you’ve made a fit alteration that works for your daughter. That’s great. I don’t think this will be an issue for others.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Violaisabelle and Liesel, even though my daughter is 8 years old she is very tall for her age – as tall as some 12 year olds I know. She looks as if she’d fit a size 8 but when I actually measure her, she matches between a 10 and a 12. I opt for the size 12 mainly because of length and I still lengthen just a little to accomodate for further growth during the year. She’s not the average in proportion as her trunk is rather long. The 12 is roomy but not hugely so, so it looks right and will hopefully get another season’s wear from the things I’ve made her already. I made a hopscotch top as a dress and it turned out short so she wears it as a nightie.

So when I get to do the family reunion dress, I will do a size 12 and lengthen slightly to make way for next year. It is really difficult to have kids who grow really fast. One minute they are a size 8 wearing a Sunday Brunch coat and the next they are wearing a 12 and helping mum figure out how they can keep using the patterns. I love the fact that they can be tops so if they turn out too short for a dress they can still be used – ideal for the tall situation I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.