Oliver + S

Sewing machine for beginner girl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

Hi, We are going to gift our 8 year old daughter a sewing machine and I’m looking for ideas. I tend to hover over her when she’s using my machine. We’d like something easy and reliable. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Katie

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I know Janome makes machines geared for kids. My local dealer has one with Hello Kitty on it. I do love my Janome.

A good used machine might be a good place to start, depending on your budget.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

You might want to check Patternreview out as there has been this discussion A couple of times in the last few months. What machine do you have, ie what is she used to using? And does she have any major likes or dislikes about the machine? You might also want to consider a machine that uses the same feet as yours so you can share specialty feet.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

My dealer (machine not drugs) suggested I get a new machine and pass my existing one on to Sophie. Just a thought.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I have a Janome Magnolia. I told my husband that she could have mine if we bought me a Bernina but that didn’t fly. I looked at Ikea’s sewing machine today and it felt cheap. I wish I had the time and energy to track down a used one. I’ll check out the Patternreview site – thank you

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Seriously, look for a second hand Bernina! I just picked up a B380 at my dealer for half price because it was “second hand”, but barely used. An older one would be lovely too as the essential things I love haven’t changed. The knee lift, heel tap ultra sensitive pedal and amazingly easy change feet are my favourites, oh and great stitching!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I think it’s a bit like iPhone/Android where everybody likes what they have and all the machines in a similar price range work pretty well. Especially for sewing machines, where it’s not like the basic mechanism is going to be radically different. It seems like everybody with a Janome loves theirs, everybody with a Bernina loves theirs, and I have a Husqvarna Viking and love mine. I think Heidi’s suggestion of getting the same make as your own machine so you can share supplies/gadgets makes a lot of sense. I know my walking foot cost over $100 — I’d hate to have to buy another one because mine was a different make than my daughter’s.

LINK
    PreemieMomma @PreemieMomma

I bought this Janome hello kitty 3/4 size machine for my 4 yr old daughter and think it would absolutely perfect for an 8 yr old. It has “seven” stitches but they’re essentially just straight stitch and zig-zag. It also does a buttonhole. It’s quite basic but is solidly made (metal insides). It stitches nicely and is quite reliable. If she’s already doing a lot of sewing and you want to get her a full size machine, janome makes another hello kitty machine that is full size and costs about $100 more than this model. I got this one on Amazon for a little over $100 and the other machine is around the $200 mark (USD). Juki also makes a basic machine that I’d been considering because I’m a juki gal, but with my daughters age, I thought something with a cutesy character on it would keep her interested longer. At her age (4), all I really cared about was getting her something so she could stay off my machine. She still prefers my machine over hers. Oh well, at least she’s sewing (a little!) 🙂

http://www.amazon.com/Janome-11706-Hello-Sewing-Machine/dp/B0012PTMAG

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

We own the Janome 3/4 size with Hello Kitty on it. Really a great machine! I’m so impressed with the quality of it. The stiches look gorgeous. It’s really basic, which I like, so that she not overwhelmed by which settings need to be used. And it cost less than the walking foot for my Bernina. She is 6, almost 7 and can use it easily by herself. It was such a hit, that we bought another so she could sew along side friends and siblings. I certainly couldn’t have purchased 2 more expensive machines. So many friends have bought one after using one of ours, I feel like Janome should be sending me a royalty 🙂

For the second one we opted for the same machine without Hello Kitty, Janome 3128. My boys (ages 13 and11) are more willing to use the one without the kitty on it.

I work at a fabric store where sewing classes are taught to children. I have to say that most of the kids give up trying to sew if they are struggling to use the machine. I’ve seen too many kids who were excited about a project lose interest while trying to figure out the machine. The sewing school owns several inexpensive machines purchased from a big box store that the kids use during the lessons. They are difficult to thread, and the tension can be very temperamental. I think we can all agree that it’s a bummer to unpick knotted, uneven stitches- at any age.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.