Oliver + S

sewing for men

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

As I’m developing some new patterns I’ve been wondering: how many of you sew or would like to sew for the men in your life? And what would you like to sew for them?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes a resounding yes! My almost eleven year old son has well and truly outgrown Oliver and s and I have been hard pressed to find anything decent and age appropriate ever since. My husband also desperately needs some new things and is a “hard to fit” man because he is very very broad and I have had no end of trouble trying to find things to sew for him.

A nice raglan t shirt with the option of short or long sleeve would be great. This way it could be adapted into a rashguard for summer months. Swimming gear, shorts, jeans!!!! Pyjamas (not necessarily sleep shorts) a really nice dress shirt similar to a sketchbook but grown up. A good style of jacket (casual for us mostly, nothing really formal). Basically, lots of things.

I hope that doesn’t leave you dizzy Liesl!

LINK
    jax @capnjax

Ditto what Tamara wrote. Also polo shirts, Henleys, cargo shorts/pants, a basic jacket like a windbreaker, swim trunks. Dude basics that I can jazz up enough to make them interesting, but not so interesting he won’t wear them.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Swim trunks that are not board shorts (he has a pair that are a bit more tailored which he loves) and a slim button-up shirt, please!

LINK
    Renee @Renee

I’d like to sew more for my husband. He doesn’t get as much handmade as the kids do. I’d love a nice shirt and dress shorts, please.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

My boys are almost all out of Oliver and S sizing 🙁 I would love a mans version of the field trip cargos. These are my goto pattern for the boys and my husband wears this type of pants too.
    A polo, a raglan and a button front shirt with different cuffs, ie normal and french would be fantastic.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

I have two boys and one husband who have outgrown Oliver and S (ha!) I make mostly casual items, like sweatshirts, swim gear, and sleepwear for them. I also do dress shirts because I hate the options in stores. I’d love to see men’s pattern that start at the top of the boy sizing, as in, they have sizes like XXS and XS, because it is impossible to find patterns or clothes for older boys who aren’t quite men sized yet, especially if they need significant modifications to fit (extra slim). Hope this helps 🙂

LINK
    Susan Okurowski @sokurowski

Yes please! Would love to make dress shirts & board shorts for my son and husband

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Shirts with two piece collars and cuff plackets are always on my radar.
    I would love your instructions for these.

Cargo shorts, something like the Field Trip with no waist band/elastic back casing would be great as work/casual wear.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

I’d love to sew for my husband, as he is very hard to fit (barrel-chested), but short.

I’d make him more jeans and dress shirts, but i’m happy for any Liesl pattern!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

So if we develop and release patterns for men, who is volunteering to sew from them for me?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

So you’re releasing an all-sport action man jumpsuit @todd ? 🙂 I’ll make you one!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

In blaze orange and neon green ripstop nylon, please, @lightningmcstitch.

LINK
    thejennigirl @thejennigirl

I second the cargo shorts and button front shirt.

To add, I fell in love with Oliver +s because of the hint of retro styling to the designs, because the styles are timeless and classic. If you do produce a men’s button-down shirt, one that is less “modern” styled and more traditional in design would be wonderful. Especially if it has a great pointed collar

LINK
    Enbee @Enbee

I like the idea of sewing for my husband, and I know he’d wear things I made for him, but practically speaking, I rarely even sew for myself. I know I’d buy and use a pajama bottom pattern, but I’m not sure how often I would make even a staple item that was more complicated. I might feel differently if my son is still willing to wear Mom-made garments once he’s grown.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.