Oliver + S

Sewing desk?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What should an ideal sewing desk have? How wide, deep, tall? Any particular features you love or hate on yours?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I just use one of those folding tables. It’s gig enough for my sewing machine and my serger. Here’s a look at my sewing room. It’s not much but it’s mine. 🙂

http://sweetpeaandpumkins.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-sewing-room.html

~Sharon~

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Love that rod! Great idea, I definitely need one of those.

I’ve been thinking about tables lately as well. Right now what frustrates me about my setup is that my tables aren’t heavy enough for my serger, so the vibrations and noise are excessive. This might seem funny but I actually prefer working standing up, so my ideal table would be at about kitchen counter height, with a tall stool for when I want to sit.

I’d love to see more photos of people’s sewing rooms! I’m in the process of getting my own organized.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

My mom has a Koala Cabinet system that configures in all these neat ways depending on how you want to use it and also condenses down nice. http://www.koalacabinets.com/?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=303 I’m not sure what system she has but will ask next time I’m over there. I love it!

My personal sewing desk was inherited from John’s Grandma when she passed away. I like it and it works for my space.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Sharon, I totally love your curtain rod idea — that’s complete genius. I saw this idea a while back at ikea to use pairs of hooks (like you’d use for hanging up a bicycle) spaced widely apart for storing wrapping paper — a couple of those and I could swap out different rods with projects loaded on them. Gentler than fold for fabrics that are tricky to press, like silk. Making a note of that!

Wendy, I am using a freestanding section of kitchen counter as a regular desk right now, with an architect’s type chair. It’s kind of nice because it keeps sharp stuff out of reach of even my very tall toddler.

Cindy, those Koala cabinets are fantastic, I’d never heard of them. Going to have a closer look.

Thanks for the tips!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have just recently updated my sewing area using Ikea furniture. I originally was using my old study desk from when I was a child but that has since been passed to my daughter when I got this http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/S59903728/ A vika Amon table top with vika adil legs, length 150 cm which is ample room for a large sewing machine and over locker/serger. I use this for sewing and have my bits and pieces in jars on the table so it is all there. I don’t use this table for cutting, I save that for my ten year old Horn cabinet cutting table which folds out.

So the table for machines is cheap but excellent value as it does what I want and the legs are adjustable so you don’t have to feel like you are sitting on the floor and it has heaps of leg room for a tall person such as myself. I trialled a fold away cabinet like a Koala one (but it was a horn) and found there wasn’t enough leg room and I got “driver’s leg cramp”. They are fabulous though for when you need to hide your things away and when room is shared with say a spare room or something of that nature. For me though I like to fold the cutting table but my sewing table is out all the time which is suitable for the five minutes of sewing here and there that I can indulge in.

The koala cabinets are similar to the Horn cabinets and you are right they do look great.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

That’s a good point, I do tend to get that cramped feeling you mention. I don’t have a serger right now — are there any special considerations for it?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It just needs a stable surface and room to get to it. Some cabinets allow space for one but that is about all. So you would have to pick one with all the components of doing cover stitching as well as there would be no room for any other machine when it comes time for you to have one that is. Also a cabinet would have to allow for you to upgrade your machine should you want to in the future as if you did say get a you beaut big thing with embroidery etc then it may not fit and that would mean getting another table. I consider these things going into the plan that the furniture itself would be around for a long time and would have to adapt to my changing sewing needs.

A serger is generally not one of those machines that have tables attached etc so you wouldn’t need to consider much just a bit of space to have it out next to your sewing machine and the choice to leave it out all the time or put it away.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

The space I have for sewing is not large, but anything is an upgrade from corner of the dining table! I quite like the way this one has no file drawers (so I can just wheel in the cheap plastic bins I’ve grown to love) but I wonder whether the little shelf bit at the back would get in the way — I suppose not, given the tiny space where I’m currently working, I’m about 13″ from a wall… I wonder if this would be wide enough to accommodate both my sewing machine and a serger-to-be?

http://www.cb2.com/tld-desk/s275026

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I can relate to getting ‘driver’s cramp’ from not having enough room under the table. My ideal sewing space would have a cutting/work surface tall enough so I don’t get a sore back using it, so this would probably make it about 120cm (27″) tall. And I could move easily all the way around it, for cutting and pinning, AND it would be big enough to pin a whole pattern (keep dreaming?). The sewing table with machine and overlocker would probably be regular counter (bench) height about 90cm. If I am going for dreams I will have a wall painted with magnetic paint, for pattern pieces, instructions etc, like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/35950827@N04/4807477806/, I saw it when I looked through the Ice Cream Social and thought it looked great and so practical.

I think the last (but probably most important) is that the space needs to be in or just off the main living area. I hate being shut away and want to be in the middle of everyone and things when I sew. I also tend to sew and cook regularly enough to want to be near the kitchen.

One last thing LOTS of storage space.

It’s nice to dream, but my sewing will stay in the main room taking over almost every surface [We haven’t regularly used the kitchen table to eat on for a while:)] and using the kitchen bench to cut, pin and work on, I have a wonderfully patient husband. I like to sew.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

It looks lovely Sarvi,very elegant and if more space is needed when sewing larger items(such as curtains) the superfluous machine could easily be placed on the floor.

I like the more compact designs.

Human junk expands to fit the space provided.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Absolutely true Nicole! That table Sarvi will be just right. It is only a ruler length shorter than mine and I could most likely fit three machines (SM, OL & CLM) on mine so it would be perfect for your needs.

Heidi, I have just updated my sewing area and splurged at Ikea for a wardrobe of storage space – I now have oodles of room that is still being arranged to be the way I am truly happy with.

I heard a whisper through the family farm grapevine that there maybe further renovations in my future …. if this is the case then the wardrobe is coming with me to the new desitnation (I’m really not holding my breath as it has been mentioned before) because it is one of these absolutely essential things that I will not part with and where ever the new spot maybe it will most certainly be serving its purpose, possiblly with a companion – because of my creative human junk!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

So very true about junk expanding to fit the space! I am being quite ruthless about culling things before I move to my new space. Hadn’t thought about curtains — I may very well be hemming those 🙂

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

The very first piece of furniture I bought for myself as an independent liver was an all purpose raw pine desk (43″ wide x 23″ deep with a large feet hole and 4 drawers on the right hand side. This has been my sewing table for 30 years and was has been painted several times. It’s as sturdy as all get out, and accommodates my Janome sewing machine, various trays, mugs holding tools etc and odds and sods very well. I have a long strip of that funny rubber webbing under my lamp, and tool mug to stop vibration/thumping noises, and some years ago a friend sent me a dear little quilted mat that sits under my machine. The dimensions I’ve specified are big enuf to do fit all the material I work with. When I’m binding quilts, I move my ironing board to the side of the desk to support the the quilt when sewing on the binding.

I live in a small flat(unit) with a big main bedroom, and a tiny second bedroom (so called) that is off the living room. Useless for two separate people but the second room is perfect for a single craftswoman. I use an aluminium clothes (drying) horse to hang the fabric I’ve ironed/selected for next project. It’s light enuf to shift when I need to get to my cupboards. Every so often I do a tidy up, but mostly it’s a mess of bits of projects in progress.

LINK
    theknittinganxiety @theknittinganxiety

I love my sewing desk,

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40180037/#/80213074

I started sewing a few months ago, when I started I sewed in my kitchen table and it was impossible because I needed to pack everything I was doing everytime we needed to eat, and my things were not even close to be organised, I had everything on a kitchen cart. Oh yes, I had a transportable sewing station if you can call it that.

Those were bad days for me.

I live on a small 2 bedrooms house, we have little space but I manage to find some next to my TV unit so I bought this desk. I feel realy good about it, when I need to cut I go to my kitchen table because the desk is only 19 5/8 ” depth, but is perfect to sew, it has a place to hide the cables and has storage, on the big draw I’ve got all the utilities (scissors, pins, etc…) and in the side door I still have free space and now I have everything very organized and it feels so good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.