Oliver + S

Seam finishing on Sunday Brunch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

So I’m doing the bias bound seams on the inside of the Sunday Brunch, but I have a question about whether/how people finished the seams where the inside facing is sewn to the jacket, both on the sides of the jacket, and around the collar. The instructions say to trim to a generous 1/8, which I did. Now I’m looking at them and wondering what to do with them. I’m making this jacket (in velveteen) for a 2-year-old so I expect her mother will launder it at some point. Those seams are pretty small not to ravel, especially considering the material I’m using. Thoughts?

ETA: Never mind … I just reread the instructions and found the edgestitching instruction.

ETA again: Nope, question still stands. I see that the front facing seams are “finished” by the edgestitching, but the way I’m reading the edgestitching instructions, they only finish that seam, and not that of the back facing. I’m still afraid of it raveling in the wash, and I’ve already trimmed it down to 1/8 so I’m not sure what to do. What do you do?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Velveteen can ravel fiercely. Ask me how I know! :(. You mean the seam that will be inside the facing? And you’ve already trimmed it? I did the same with a velveteen coat recently and the corners started to fray apart before I even finished the damn thing. I went back in as best I could reach and restitched with tiny stitches over the original lines and then inside. I also used fray check and fusible interfacing on the corners i could still reach. Whether it will hold up over time, I don’t know yet.

If yours hasn’t started to ravel yet, I would restitched the entire seam, just to the outside of the original stitching line with small stitches. Then I would try to serge or overlock or zig zag those seam allowances before they ravel away. In the future, I don’t plan to ever trim velveteen seam allowances. Good luck!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Thanks Melanie – I went back and zigzagged over the allowance and now I feel much better. If the jacket weren’t nearly done I would have serged, but the though of the knife near the jacket made me nervous 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.